Hip Bruise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 10, 2018
Thanks for the help on previous questions! I think we're moving in the right direction. We are hitting a new issue and looking for suggestions to help fix it.

We've just started back after about 3 months off. DD is able to pitch in the 41 - 44 mph range with no issues. If she jumps up to the 46 - 49 mph range (where she really focuses on whipping the ball) she starts hitting her hip too hard during the BI part of her motion. This caused a bruise, and we've been working on letting it heal as well as to figure out how best to avoid it in the future.

A few questions I have are:

1. From this video can anyone see anything mechanically that could be causing a harder hit than is normal?

2. If this is just due to being off for a while (and a recent growth spurt) should we push through and eventually the body will adjust / not be sore?

3. If mechanically she's looking okay, any harm to adding some padding for her or might it encourage bad mechanics?

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2018
Her back swing is too far behind her (because it starts too far outside - try brushing on the way back) causing her to come over the top/left of her head rather than just past her right eye. Might not be the cause of the bruise though...My DD has a similar problem, but it's more from trying too hard to get a good radar reading and not having a relaxed whip. The cue that seems to help is to try harder to force the palm up at 9 and pull the ball down rather than throwing so hard....spin goes up, speed goes up, and less elbow pointing into the hip. She also wears an elbow sleeve which helps.

Aug 21, 2008
@yuba30 in this video clip, are you saying she's hitting herself? OR was this a clip of her missing her hip? I didn't see the contact, so I was curious.

I'd advise against using padding. I understand the logic but, the reality is, if she's hitting herself it means she's doing something wrong. Doing something wrong can manifest into something REALLY wrong. Adding some padding will continue to let her doing something wrong and not fix the core problem.

Bill

Nov 8, 2018
Thanks for the help on previous questions! I think we're moving in the right direction. We are hitting a new issue and looking for suggestions to help fix it.

We've just started back after about 3 months off. DD is able to pitch in the 41 - 44 mph range with no issues. If she jumps up to the 46 - 49 mph range (where she really focuses on whipping the ball) she starts hitting her hip too hard during the BI part of her motion. This caused a bruise, and we've been working on letting it heal as well as to figure out how best to avoid it in the future.

1. From this video can anyone see anything mechanically that could be causing a harder hit than is normal?

2. If this is just due to being off for a while (and a recent growth spurt) should we push through and eventually the body will adjust / not be sore?

3. If mechanically she's looking okay, any harm to adding some padding for her or might it encourage bad mechanics?

Thanks!

5625795660720a7f9ed7fafd38e22ae3.jpg

Notice here her arm is valgas. It’s her structure. Her elbow is in and hand out. That alone will bring her elbow closer to the hip. This was after backswing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018

Thanks!

bcc4731ae828eace7c877fe457ae05ab.jpg

Fix this. If arm not on power line she will not be consistent. And hit wrong periodically. She needs to stabilize her core here.

Nov 8, 2018

Thanks!

a6b4fd43c132b71ffc9f99d4246fa40d.jpg

After coming around her head her elbow is now lined up to hit hip.

Nov 8, 2018

Thanks!

6df4ba9213d04260121c0a34fbf53d7d.jpg

It appears in this one her brush is pretty good. She could roll around the thigh more that may help her smacking the hip / thigh.
You may have to force the pronation (of forearm) in the beginning till it becomes natural.
My dd did the same thing for awhile.
Due to the valgas angle of the arm she will be more apt to make contact. That’s actually good. But if she doesn’t roll around the thigh / hip she will just be running into it. Which is kinda what you are saying. This valgas I believe will be an asset down the road.
IMHO

Mar 10, 2018
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

@Hillhouse Thanks for confirming the padding concern I have and that when done right it shouldn't hurt. That video was one of the ones from when she says she hit her side too hard. Also just wanted to thank you for your videos. Nothing has had more of a positive impact on her career as a pitcher (and my understanding of pitching) than when we watched those and worked on the move away from HE.

@Jeffrey I always wondered about the backswing being too far, we'll try straightening it out today and see if that helps. It's a relatively new change to her motion so we're trying to get it dialed in.

@DrRiello Thanks for taking the time to give screen by screen feedback. When you say make sure her arm is on the power line are you specifically mentioning the ball arm, or glove too? I've never been clear on how close on the line both arms should be and we've struggled fixing glove swim in the past. I have been happy with the brush, it seems like we're close, so hopefully a couple small changes from this thread will help a bit.

Jan 6, 2018
You may have to force the pronation (of forearm) in the beginning till it becomes natural.
My dd did the same thing for awhile.

I second this - My DD struggles to pronate/roll around as well. It's a process for sure! A trick @Rick Pauly gave me was to have her throw her fastball at a target just a few feet out in front of her. We keep moving it toward home until she's throwing pretty nice late breakers.

Sep 29, 2014
For starters don't think anyone commented but overall she looks really good.

It is obvious she is hitting her hips hitting her hip there but honestly though just looks like good brush.

The one thing I did notice as others mentioned is the path of the ball it does go from behind her body to outside her body to over her head and then back, we want to try and make that circle with the ball as straight as possible. She does appear to have emulated the Amanda back swing while it is over exaggerated and can lead to some consistency problems I would take that straight back swing versus shortening the back swing but still having it not straight (out of plane) but yeah shortening it up would probably be better..

Watch Amanda's video again at the :29 second mark you can see her brush and how she rolls it like DrReillo said, also pay attention to how the ball travels straight back and straight to the plate all the way around to release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy