Hindge Angle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Hinge Angle

I hear this from Chris and others on maintaining the angle.

Could Chris and others explain what this is in the swing and how and when do you loose it or maintain it.

I also heard people on a SE site talk about it.

This is a somewhat common term in hitting I dont understand or look for in hitters.

Straightleg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Gerry this is how I understand it. Try to keep as close to a 90 degree angle between the forearm and bicep on the top hand, this will make it very hard to upper cut if it is maintained. People talk about the power "V" that you see in good swings between the arms...this is AFTER contact. Take a look at good swing mechanics and you will see a 90 degree hinge angle that begins to unhinge at and through contact. CB took the bottom of a hitting T , which is a small square and used this to demo how the arms should be as the elbow goes forward. I liked the demo.

May 13, 2008
To me, it (90 degree hinge angle) should be maintained until (about) the bat lag position and then the hands and barrel should be allowed to release to (and through) contact.

Exactly when the release should occur depends on the location of the pitch.

Last edited:
R

RayR

It is the front wrist to forearm angle. Just like swinging a hammer if you maintain the hinge angle there will be more snap/pop into contact. If you let the wrist open too early you will likely push the hammer head/bat into contact.

Try it with a hammer. It's a feel thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877