Hilarious article out of New Jersey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
can you do my taxes going forwards, since apparently you have never made an arithametic (sic) error? for that error, maybe the appropriate punishment is the team has to pass the hat to reimburse the $6, maybe even tell them to collectively come up with $60, with the extra $54 donated to charity of their choosing (you, like a real world type consequence for a relatively minor mistake)?

not saying I am for coddling, but some of what is alleged goes beyond the line. let the process play out. the coaches should be allowed to defend themselves (although the husband leaving to me is a little sketchy), but do not trash the players either. remember, in the end, it is a game, and I highly doubt any of them are getting a 100% ride, so it should be at least somewhat fun.

I think at the very least that all practices/trainings for this team for the foreseeable future need to have an independent athletic trainer (ie not associated with softball program) in attendance, and their word on what is too much is law. This is not "Junction Boys".
Most people who make such errors on their taxes would gladly take 6 sprints in lieu of IRS financial penalties. As I said if you are not capable or unwilling to do something so simple, what use are you on the field?

Dec 11, 2010
maybe the appropriate punishment is the team has to pass the hat to reimburse the $6, maybe even tell them to collectively come up with $60, with the extra $54 donated to charity of their choosing (you, like a real world type consequence for a relatively minor mistake)?

I know you are just spitballing ideas here but: The coach can't do this. No way, no how. Has "the appearance of impropriety" written all over it. Probably a violation of NCAA and institution rules. The fastlane to dismissal.

Jun 8, 2016
I know you are just spitballing ideas here but: The coach can't do this. No way, no how. Has "the appearance of impropriety" written all over it. Probably a violation of NCAA and institution rules. The fastlane to dismissal.
The best way to punish somebody is to take away something they love, in this case it would be playing time. However by doing that in this case the coach would effectively be punishing him/herself as well if any of the offenders were regular starters so...

Dec 11, 2010
And there you have it!

Also the reason why coaches claim that they won't recruit problem players or players with crazy parents.

They WILL NOT DO IT. Until they do, lol.

May 6, 2015
Most people who make such errors on their taxes would gladly take 6 sprints in lieu of IRS financial penalties. As I said if you are not capable or unwilling to do something so simple, what use are you on the field?

for a $6 error, no, I dont think so. unless they can establish some type of purposeful intention to flout tax laws, the IRS penaly for that type of mistake (ie arithametic error) would at most be the $6 plus interest. and for $6, even if they find some type of purposeful intent, I still rather doubt they go beyond $6+int.

May 6, 2015
a

actually repayment of improper benefit is one of the NCAA approved ways to clean the slate (ie if the recruit receives something of value on a recruting trip they are not peermitted, if the recruit pays the value of the benefit to the school, it is as if it never happened).

however I doubt this was even a matter of how much they could spend by NCAA rules, I think this was a team/sport budget restriction. ie by NCAA rules, they could probably have spent a lot more than they did, but the team has a budget of less than NCAA rules (of course, FB could buy every team member a lobster dinner on a road trip and no one would bat an eye, well OK, not at Rutgers, but at most other B10+ schools)

Dec 11, 2010
a

actually repayment of improper benefit is one of the NCAA approved ways to clean the slate (ie if the recruit receives something of value on a recruting trip they are not peermitted, if the recruit pays the value of the benefit to the school, it is as if it never happened).

however I doubt this was even a matter of how much they could spend by NCAA rules, I think this was a team/sport budget restriction. ie by NCAA rules, they could probably have spent a lot more than they did, but the team has a budget of less than NCAA rules (of course, FB could buy every team member a lobster dinner on a road trip and no one would bat an eye, well OK, not at Rutgers, but at most other B10+ schools)
Fair enough- passing the hat and donating the excess might not be a recognized corrective procedure though.

May 6, 2015
yes, but no way the NCAA goes after someone for this. not when they wink at a lot of other things that most people can agree they should wink on (there are cases every year where schools pay for athletes to go home for funerals, family illnesses, etc. technically a violation, but NCAA turns a blind eye).

Dec 11, 2010
How about the school and/or the compliance officer?

Its a bad idea. Whether you would get away with it or not. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish