Hilarious article out of New Jersey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
Teams have rules, companies have rules and breaking them in either context should have consequences.

More sprint work for either breaking team rules or not hitting certain times is lazy, ill-informed, archaic coaching, not a litmus test to see who is "all in".

Softball has great technology to capture all kinds of data for hitting and pitching.
Unfortunately, there are still a lot of coaches that are in the dark ages when it comes to softball specific aerobic conditioning and speed development.

The personal connection/developing relationships/fostering growth is more important than the winning percentage.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Before you get a uniform on my kid's team you run 16 110 yard sprints, so goal line to back of end zone, you have to run them all in under 18 seconds, you have 30 seconds between sprints to get your **** together.

I think pitchers get 20 seconds instead of 18. I'm not sure why.
My DD had to do the same thing at SC. Her take was they are weak, probably needed to go. If they are not capable or unwilling to add up the cost of a meal, do you really want them on the field during a game? For that matter if simple addition is a challenge, how did they get into Rutgers? Who doctored their SAT score?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Tony Dungy was a very successful coach by any standard. Never raised his voice. Never was dismissive. Never condescending. How did he do it? He used his brain. More carrot and less stick. More personal relationships with his players. These type of coaches that use conditioning as a punishment will be obsolete soon and the sooner the better.

Jun 12, 2015
Saw a thread about this on twitter and laughed that some of the people want the coaches fired.

Really? Those snowflakes would have never made it with any team I was on in high school, let alone being in a college program.

Of course I am referring to the 100 yard sprints as mental abuse.

Running sprints so long and hard that not 1 but 3 players collapse and need medical treatment. Yeah, buncha snowflakes. @@

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Interesting article and discussion. I will be honest. When I started reading the article and noticed "6, 100 yard sprints" I really didnt get the issue. Over reaction for going over budget by $6? Yeah, probably. But there are other things in the article that raise flags to me. At least worthy of an investigation. The last thing I will ever do is trust any information provided by the media without further analysis. Our current political climate has destroyed my trust in media.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Interesting article and discussion. I will be honest. When I started reading the article and noticed "6, 100 yard sprints" I really didnt get the issue. Over reaction for going over budget by $6? Yeah, probably. But there are other things in the article that raise flags to me. At least worthy of an investigation. The last thing I will ever do is trust any information provided by the media without further analysis. Our current political climate has destroyed my trust in media.
Amazing what passes a journalism these days. This was a one sided hit piece with very little factual information. Nothing more than click bait.

Nov 18, 2013
I find it hard to be sympathetic to young adults when their parents are still fighting their battles. Daughters coach sophomore year was a viewed as a tyrant by the upper class men, but it got results. She went to Minnesota after a year and players made the same accusations. Couple lears later and off the Gophers first WCWS appearance everybody thinks she’s the next coming of Christ. It’s very common for veteran players to bitch and moan when a new coach comes in with a different way of doing things.

Feb 25, 2018
An investigation by an ombudsman seems appropriate. Not sure the AD there could do a fair investigation.

Some of the allegations could be difficult to corroborate without third party testimony or recordings, though.

I wish the students that transferred well and hope both coaches punt the drill Sargent stuff. Coach 'em up, don't break 'em down.
And learn proper softball speed development.

Jun 8, 2016
Alleged by one player and so far uncorroborated, yet you are taking that as a fact? We need to be better than that.
Agreed and no I wasn't taking this as fact, I was just restating what I read. As I have said I wasn't there so I am not going to pass judgement either way. That said, we also need to be careful to not just assume the kids are lying because today's generation is perceived to be a bunch of "snowflakes".

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog