Hilarious article out of New Jersey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I should have made it bold.

A missed opportunity.

Next time.

Next time.
Many (most?) schools have conditioning tests before the year, D1 or not. My D3 baseball program made us run a mile in under 6 minutes, do some sort of sprinting test (cannot remember the details on that) along with having a bench press and dips goal. We had to do all of this in the span of about 2 or 3 hours. You didn't get to practice until you passed.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019
You didn't get to practice until you passed.

I wasn't hanging a picture my kid colored up on the fridge there, I mentioned it because someone was very concerned about the time they were given to complete each sprint.

Here nor there, did anyone quit?

Were they interviewed by the media?

Did their parents try to get your coach canned over it?

Feb 25, 2018
Well, from a track coaching perspective,
16 x 110 yards in 18 sec or less with 30 seconds recovery is a decent workout, a mile's worth of work; second half of the workout would be the test.

I would submit, though, that a coach would need to know where each athlete is starting from cardio-wise before assigning volume/time/recovery period.

A coach wouldn't/shouldn't have a pitcher keep pitching if they slowed down significantly. If a kid slows down significantly in a running workout, the coach should stop or modify the workout. Should be no different in softball conditioning.

Jun 8, 2016
Someone was very concerned about the time they were given to complete each sprint.

Here nor there, did anyone quit?

Were they interviewed by the media?

Did their parents try to get your coach canned over it?
I don't know enough about the situation to know whether what went on was abuse or not but in our case it wasn't being used as punishment and it was something that everybody knew ahead of time and trained for.

Oct 19, 2019
I don't know enough about the situation to know whether what went on was abuse or not but in our case it wasn't being used as punishment and it was something that everybody knew ahead of time and trained for.

In the meat of your season, D1 or not, you really prolly oughta to be in shape, no?

Jun 8, 2016
In the meat of your season, D1 or not, you really prolly oughta to be in shape, no?
You have to be in good enough shape to be able play your position to the best of your ability from the first pitch to the last..that doesn't necessarily mean you need to be Edwin Moses.

Like I said I don't typically pass judgement in these situations without knowing all the facts.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Before you get a uniform on my kid's team you run 16 110 yard sprints, so goal line to back of end zone, you have to run them all in under 18 seconds, you have 30 seconds between sprints to get your **** together.

I think pitchers get 20 seconds instead of 18. I'm not sure why.

There are conditioning requirements that are known and can be prepared for, and there's punishment because a few extra dollars got spent. Seems like a pretty clear difference.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Butler was brought in to fix a program that was in the pits. That is what she and her husband do. This type of exodus is normal in such circumstances. I first saw Butler when she was in TB and have known both her and Smith for well over well over a decade. Full disclosure, we were at their wedding. Was not there at Rutgers so I am not privy to details, but will say that if you are a snowflake or entitled brat there is no room for you in their program. They know what it takes to build a winning program and you are either all in or you are out.

Perhaps it's entitled brats not getting with the program. However, if you know how to build a winner and are going to hold players to higher standards, you know that you need to do things right. That means being fair, not being capricious, and not being a creep. I know the article speaks from the perspective of the players, but if what's in there is true, there are issues well beyond snowflakes being pushed out of an up and coming program.

Oct 19, 2019
and there's punishment because a few extra dollars got spent. Seems like a pretty clear difference.

They were told to spend X, they decided they didn't have to follow the rules. They spent Y instead and were punished for it.

And you have no idea if that was the first time they screwed up, the 4th, or the 44th.

Since all of this is no big deal to about half of you I feel like you should follow in their footsteps and start using the same excuses you are making for them in your daily lives.

So if you hit a time clock for a living you should start showing up for work 6 minutes late.

Do it tomorrow.

What if you showed up 3 minutes late and then celebrated it by leaving 3 minutes early every day for a week or two?

It's only 6 minutes, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00