High School Softball ,No Thanks I'll pass

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
While I will agree that high school coaches can be "hit or miss", I really enjoy the change of pace from TB. During the HS season my DD and I can relax and enjoy ourselves, she is playing for school pride, not a berth to ASA Nationals.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Didn't any of you Daddies play rec basketball or rec slow pitch softball after your school days were over? And didn't you play on two or three different teams? It was common to play on a church league team and a more competitive "open" team. One wasn't better than the other...they were just different.

Aug 29, 2013
Youth sport has become ridiculously competitive over the years. Kids used to just go outside and play pick up games with their friends. Now youngsters are competing for spots and driving two hours to merely get the chance to play in a few games. Wouldn’t kids be better off getting 500 repetitions in their front yard with their friends? Youth sport has become obsessed with getting kids to the next level with the sole goal of eventually showing them off to college recruiters. The key to attaining this goal is repetition. Good coach, or bad coach in high school, she still gets the reps. She should play.

Jul 2, 2013
High School Softball is the best.

What I have trouble with is Daddy Ball coaches. The same coaches who did not know how to coach at all when their DD was 7 years old. They coach her all the way up. Stepping on other folks (yes, while helping many out) as their DD gets prime billing. Finally learn how to coach. There is a whole posse of them. HC, AC, another AC, 3 ball players getting propped up on every team.

Only to stand in the High School sidelines (or a message board) dissin on the high school coach who is working as hard as they can for a pittance.

It's the "benched travel ball coaches" who are the worst. And most are not allowed in HS ball, only adding to my pleasure.

The atmosphere of high school, playing for your community, is so much better than travel ball, in my opinion. Not always the play. But the joy, if you truly understand life, and how to soak in the good parts presented to you along the way.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
SCDad, when I was a HS head coach, I was fortunate that the dads that coached TB stayed out of it. Oh, I'm sure that they had a thing or two to say here and there but for the most part, kept it in check. However, I have to say that I agree with your statement about other coaches and their parents. Wow! I know one hard working HS coach how is routinely raked over the coals and by parents who should be grateful that they have her. Of course, it is always the TB "star" parents that are angry that their dd all of a sudden isn't the star.

Per the "pittance" that they get paid, when I took over the HS Softball Program, I had been a Varsity Head Coach in baseball for over a decade. I had been an assistant for over a decade. I had been a head coach in another sport as well for a very long time and an assistant coach in that sport for way over a decade. I was deemed "inexperienced" and paid the lowest of any coach in the system. I'm not mad but am disappointed. I work for good guys and still don't understand that decision.

Jul 2, 2013
I really like coaches, for it is they who put the effort into my DD's play. I can still remember what coach taught my daughter what, and thank them, and rehash the old days every time I see them.

After the players have played for 12 years, as mine has, if I can get the current coach to get her to master a couple new tasks a season, I am happy.

There is a reason they are called Managers, in baseball. The game still, for the most part, is determined on the field by the players. The coaches who did the dozen years of work for my DD should be congratulated. I just do not think the majority of the success of a team in high school should be attributed to the coach. In high school, it is normally the upper-class seniors and juniors who determine the teams fate.

The HC has more of an affect on the player mind than anything, and is their biggest contribution. Most players on our HS team already know how to play, and quite well. What is in their mind, wow, I learn more and more each day.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
SCdad, we differ in how important we think HS coaches are. I would not call myself a manager. I don't know what your experience is. We filmed both hitting and fielding. We set program and individual goals for each player. For the most part every player on both my HS baseball and softball teams played for me during the summer as well. Summer Legion Coach in baseball. I coached my dd and so, all of the other girls in TB. I only had one BB player who played TB for a large Travel Organization and I got him on that team. He was going to get drafted and needed the exposure. In our area, what I just described is more the norm than not. Amy and I have commented before about softball in this area and how if probably differs from other areas.

Jul 2, 2013
I am just a players parent.

Usually the best team wins. Some teams implode when facing adversity, and from my experience it is because of ballplayers pointing fingers and causing unneeded drama, parents included.

On our team, older (Sr, Jr) players sometimes have to move away from their specialty position. So to find the best spot for the young players to flourish. The dynamic of a senior player trying to master a new spot, while mentoring a soph, or frosh, in her old spot and elevating her at the HS level, and be happy, is what makes a winner.

That is the fun of it, and why I enjoy watching it so much. Travel teams slot players early, and sort of just plop them there, and find a position they need from somewhere else.

That is where the coaching comes in. Elevate the girls, work them as hard as you can, and figure out how to get young lady's, usually 4 or even 5 years different in age, to bond.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
Youth sport has become ridiculously competitive over the years. Kids used to just go outside and play pick up games with their friends. Now youngsters are competing for spots and driving two hours to merely get the chance to play in a few games. Wouldn’t kids be better off getting 500 repetitions in their front yard with their friends? Youth sport has become obsessed with getting kids to the next level with the sole goal of eventually showing them off to college recruiters. The key to attaining this goal is repetition. Good coach, or bad coach in high school, she still gets the reps. She should play.

Yes & No.

Forcing a kid into high-end TB that does not have the passion is always bad.

But our youth need MORE stretch goals in their life to keep them from getting sucked into useless social media and video games as their primary outlets.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12