High School playing time/positions, How to ask...from the kid's perspective.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 27, 2019
DD is a sophomore and was the only freshman to make the team last year. She had very limited playing time her first year and was on the bench for the first 5 innings in this seasons 1st scrimmage. it Seems she has locked herself into being the back up 3rd base. During tryouts she didn't "get in line" at 2nd or SS and now she only practices at third because it is only scenario based defensive practices and can't be seen other spots. In my view she is better than the starting 2nd and deserves some time if not the position. Hitting wasn't her strong suit last year but much different this year. In the first scrimmage she had 1 walk and had the night's biggest hit a line drive that rocketed into the top of the left center fence. Repeatedly it is said for kids to fight the playing time battle. I didn't play ball in school, I was a wrestler, starting decisions were made via a wrestle off.

The question is for those that have been there, how do you go about asking for a chance at other positions and or playing time?

Jun 20, 2015
she needs to approach coach after practice and ask ' Coach what do i need to do for you to see me at 2b?

Warning, if coach is worth a darn, he/she may have already considered her @ 2B, and based on skill, current 2b is there for a reason.

Welcome to the world of HS softball. Where you scratch you head and go "really?"

Jun 8, 2016
A good coach would respond positively to a kid asking what they needed to do to get more PT. Similarly a good coach would probably not have a hard time figuring out who the best 2b is if there is a clear difference so..🤷🏽‍♂️

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Personally I hated 3rd so did not like DD playing there. No fear.. Lot of respect for 3rd.

As other posts have said have her ask the couch. Give it a little bit and get involved if you need too.

May 17, 2012
current 2b is there for a reason.

Probably for hitting. Better to be the backup 3B than the backup 2B though.

I would add that if the team hits/wins and you sit, it is what it is.

If the team struggles to hit and your DD is still not getting an opportunity then you should be concerned/talk to coach.

Oct 14, 2019
Just be careful about how you frame the request. Saying your DD is better than Player A at 2B or Player B at SS is not likely to go over well. It would probably also not go well to request a specific position. Just make sure the coach knows DD is willing to play anywhere to get in the lineup. Even F10.

Feb 27, 2019
Probably for hitting. Better to be the backup 3B than the backup 2B though.

I would add that if the team hits/wins and you sit, it is what it is.

If the team struggles to hit and your DD is still not getting an opportunity then you should be concerned/talk to coach.

Current 2b is a slower runner (on D and O), and hasn't hit out of the infield in these now 2 scrimmage games. Today current 2b did make a good diving catch to her right (if she were faster it wouldn't need be a dive) but couldn't get up quick enough and threw the ball at first's feet when she did. 1st missed it. runner safe. I personally think there is a certain travel org preference since 2nd and her DD catcher play together. Scratch that, more than half the starting team play for the same org.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
New England
Current 2b is a slower runner (on D and O), and hasn't hit out of the infield in these now 2 scrimmage games. Today current 2b did make a good diving catch to her right (if she were faster it wouldn't need be a dive) but couldn't get up quick enough and threw the ball at first's feet when she did. 1st missed it. runner safe. I personally think there is a certain travel org preference since 2nd and her DD catcher play together. Scratch that, more than half the starting team play for the same org.

Are you basing your evaluations of current second baseman based just on this? Or have you observed her much in the past?

Oct 10, 2018
I personally think there is a certain travel org preference since 2nd and her DD catcher play together. Scratch that, more than half the starting team play for the same org.

If that's the case you'll probably never overcome it and have to chalk it up to school ball politics. However, it has been only 2 scrimmage games so far. Coach may make some changes after considering these games. I'd let it go another game and after game 3 if DD doesn't get field time, have her approach the coach with something like, Hi coach I'm looking to get some time on the field, what can I do to make that happen? Coach will likely give her a few innings somewhere and if DD does well she may find herself splitting the position with that girl. IIWY I'd encourage DD be OK with any spot on the field - it's better than sitting and if your instincts are correct your DD won't see 2nd or any position filled by the coach's DD's travel org. Encourage her to do her best to enjoy - it's only a couple months she'll be back to her travel team in June. JMHO

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Hi coach I'm looking to get some time on the field, what can I do to make that happen? Coach will likely give her a few innings somewhere ....

Are you saying that the coach will likely give her a few innings because she asked? Not being critical, just curious what you'd hope to get from the question.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying