High School experts!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
We will have to disagree on closed practices. I do not see a reason for them, in softball. If I am adapt at what I am coaching, there is never a problem with parents.

Hold a meeting prior to the season and discuss parent behavior. Get the players on board and they will encourage their folks to be quiet.

Right on Amy.

I am a parent. I care deeply about my DD.
That's how other parents FEEL ALSO.
Get the parents on board, listen to their concerns, invite them to practices, and please FEEL FREE, to discuss ANYTHING, at the right time.

If there are closed practices, or a policy of "I can care less what the parents think or feel" or "how can you possibly help me with anything"?, there is something wrong somewhere.

high school coaching most of the time, Is politics, control, status, and holding onto power.
my town is a perfect example.
Our high school pitching coach teaches STEP, and slingshot. He bullies the pitchers that work with others.(
He likes the "bowlers" finish. And likes a nice bent leg at finish.
If your DD has a personal pitching coach, you must stop seeing her and use him, and he will "fix' all the stupid things you have been taught.

I have video, and clock speeds of the high schooler's. They top out at 50, cruise at 47.
The pitchers on my travel team, who work with some great pcs, cruise at 50, top at 56. Oh, and they are 6th 7th and 8th graders.

sorry, its a very long 7 weeks.

Sep 18, 2011
You are not allowed to go into your kids math class during school hours and tell the teacher she is teaching calculus wrong, just because you might have a PhD in math and be more educated than she is. What makes you think you have a right to attend softball practice and tell the head coach she isn't teaching correct softball skills?

It should be self evident, but I'll answer. Using an incorrect calculus method will not lead to arm trouble and surgery. Using an unsafe pitching method will. Really poor comparison, especially since the math teacher has math credentials, and it has been explained over and over in this thread that the high school softball coach has zero coaching experience and is not a qualified pitching instructor. And yet because he is the coach, one must never question authority, right? Wow.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Let's clarify some things.

First, you can't have it both ways. People are screaming for non-teachers to coach, then complaining that they are not teachers.

I could care less if the coach is a teacher or a trash man... that's not the point. I'm saying that if your going to coach, at least either know what your talking about or have help around you who does. If the HC needs to play politics and deal with AD's and parents, fine then go focus on that. But dont teach what you dont know, and certainly dont correct the ones who do actually know something.
Left field, your a teacher, and as a teacher you are required to have a minimum level of certifications and degrees. Why? ... obviously because we as parents are trusting you and your ability to teach based upon your credentials. We trust you as a teacher because we know you are qualified as a degreed professional. However, why should I trust a guy with no experience, no credentials, and no practical experience with pitching. For example, maybe if he had spent the last 10 years as a bucket dad, going to a qualified PC with his dd, he would have picked up a lot by then, and could make some good points based upon their experiences. But in my particular situation, non of which is the case. He not only doesn't have a clue, because his dd wasn't a pitcher, he's undoing a ton of work by reversing her IR mechanics into HE. Then he's got the balls to say to her its because her elbow is bent and loose is the reason she'll never be successful.

I had a talk with dd about her playing only as a corner and not pitching. She got pretty down, and said the thought of not pitching in HS is worse than the moronic instruction. So, she'll do what shes told in order to get circle time, but will only do what's asked of her mechanically while he's right beside her in practice.

May 29, 2013
I could care less if the coach is a teacher or a trash man... that's not the point. I'm saying that if your going to coach, at least either know what your talking about or have help around you who does. If the HC needs to play politics and deal with AD's and parents, fine then go focus on that. But dont teach what you dont know, and certainly dont correct the ones who do actually know something.
Left field, your a teacher, and as a teacher you are required to have a minimum level of certifications and degrees. Why? ... obviously because we as parents are trusting you and your ability to teach based upon your credentials. We trust you as a teacher because we know you are qualified as a degreed professional. However, why should I trust a guy with no experience, no credentials, and no practical experience with pitching. For example, maybe if he had spent the last 10 years as a bucket dad, going to a qualified PC with his dd, he would have picked up a lot by then, and could make some good points based upon their experiences. But in my particular situation, non of which is the case. He not only doesn't have a clue, because his dd wasn't a pitcher, he's undoing a ton of work by reversing her IR mechanics into HE. Then he's got the balls to say to her its because her elbow is bent and loose is the reason she'll never be successful.

I had a talk with dd about her playing only as a corner and not pitching. She got pretty down, and said the thought of not pitching in HS is worse than the moronic instruction. So, she'll do what shes told in order to get circle time, but will only do what's asked of her mechanically while he's right beside her in practice.

Good job. You spoke to the only person that matters in this situation and she has made her decision. I guess fastpitch does teach life lessons as well, wish her luck and enjoy the ride.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
James:

I am not a teacher, but it does not matter, we are heavily credentialed through NFHS and state requirements, both softball and health related, such as heat, concussion, etc. That is partly why it is hard to get coaches. It takes hours to get credentialed. We also benefit on the interview from playing experience (and coaching/teaching experience directly related to teens), and if no playing experience, additional coaching experience with teens is needed. These are recent requirements, and yes, I would admit a teacher can get approved more easily (without coaching experience) as they have proven experience teaching teens, and that is a good thing. All of us have a year or so to get all the needed credentials.

A bucket dad would probably not be qualified to coach in my district. But as I said,you must allow your daughter to address the coach, not to go along with, but to make her point. If that doesn't work, then ask to meet with the AD. Admittedly, there is also your personal relationship with the coach affecting this situation.

That, the part in bold, is the difference between high school ball, and the rest of the world.
It makes no sense whatsoever.

Hire whomever is more clarified as a coach, if they are a good coach, they obviously are good with kids.

I have my certification, it is easy.

Right now in our girls sports, we have coaches, who not only have not played the game they teach, but also, have never coached youth, which is a great help in TEACHING the sport, they are coaching in high school.

HIRE TEACHERS FIRST??? hire teachers that are COACHES??? Hire coaches to coach.

Feb 7, 2013
It should be self evident, but I'll answer. Using an incorrect calculus method will not lead to arm trouble and surgery. Using an unsafe pitching method will. Really poor comparison, especially since the math teacher has math credentials, and it has been explained over and over in this thread that the high school softball coach has zero coaching experience and is not a qualified pitching instructor. And yet because he is the coach, one must never question authority, right? Wow.

So now the argument to have parents attend every practice and give coaching advice to the high school coach is that they are teaching dangerous mechanics to their kids and they will need surgery in the near future. . Give me a break. If you really think this coach is danger to your kids, you file a grievance with the principal, AD or school district or you take them out of this dangerous environment. For everyone else, such as the pinch runners parents, please stay away from high school practices. If you go to the games, please be respectful to the coaches and cheer for your team.

BTW, pitching shoulder injuries are more likely to be caused by overuse injuries not HE mechanics. I told this before but my DD's pitching coach had two shoulder surgeries her sophomore year in college and her softball career was over. She attributes the injuries to overuse when she played travel ball for a coach that would have her pitch as many as 5 games on Sunday. Where were little Suzy's parents crying foul when their DD was amassing trophies for her travel ball team? Did these parents attend all the practices and correct the travel ball coaches when their DD was pitching too many innings?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd