High School Daddy Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
There are nepotism policies in place in academia as there are in most work places. That said we are talking about HS softball here….

Jun 8, 2016
They should really let the parents collectively set the lineups and batting order.
That would make a good reality tv show...I would be the most popular parent on the show
as I would have my kid flex or sit every game..

May 16, 2016
But couldn't it be approached from a, "Why do we have parent coaches in a high school program"??? Seems no better than rec. Parents should be no where near a high school team other than in the bleachers.
The answer is obvious... Budget constraints compel schools to rely on volunteers to keep the athletic teams going.

Aug 8, 2022
Glad you at least got some resolution on this. It sounds to me like the freshman's dad tries to tell the HC what to do...or just annoys him until he gives in and wastes games to see if the freshman can catch. It also sounds like your kid advocated for herself and HC decided to actually do his job.

The hitting thing makes no sense, though. If she's hitting better than everyone else, then I would presume that means she's got the highest BA. No coach with a shred of sanity would DH for their best hitter.
Thanks, I think you're exactly right about annoying the HC until his dd gets played.

One note, she does not have the best BA on the team. She's in a slump this season and is trying to get out of it. She is hitting better than the freshman catcher and the dd of the other coach who she was told would hit for her in playoffs but does not fall in the top 5-6 on the team. Hopefully she can pull herself out of the slump and make it hard for the coach not to put her in to hit. She works every day trying to make that happen.

Apr 14, 2022
there is no favoritism, and we don't manage illusion

the only one causing problems is one parent.....and yes, he IS a member of the staff, volunteer or not.....

controls? the head coach runs his program.....the AD oversees it

it's maine......if we didn't have parents involved in coaching, we'd have no coaching at any level.......
If the coach quits does the problem go away?
14 kids need 4 coaches?
I have never seen parents coach kids evenly and objectively. A few times you see their kid punished, most of the time slight favoritism of a minor level, and few times blatant favoritism.
Every time a parent coaches the appearance causes problems with players usually relaid by parents. If it is truly necessary then the issues that having parents coach is justified.
Even with that case I would still try to limit parent direct. Ask parent of JV to coach Varsity or Varsity to coach Jv. Anonymous survey of players/parents, etc.

Apr 14, 2022
They should really let the parents collectively set the lineups and batting order.

A one or two parents?
B collective team of parents?
C A coach that is not a parent?

C is always preferred not so sure B would be worse than A and be more entertaining with alliances being formed, etc.

Jun 8, 2016
A one or two parents?
B collective team of parents?
C A coach that is not a parent?

C is always preferred not so sure B would be worse than A and be more entertaining with alliances being formed, etc.
My vote is for whatever causes the most chaos...

May 20, 2015
If the coach quits does the problem go away?
14 kids need 4 coaches?
I have never seen parents coach kids evenly and objectively. A few times you see their kid punished, most of the time slight favoritism of a minor level, and few times blatant favoritism.
Every time a parent coaches the appearance causes problems with players usually relaid by parents. If it is truly necessary then the issues that having parents coach is justified.
Even with that case I would still try to limit parent direct. Ask parent of JV to coach Varsity or Varsity to coach Jv. Anonymous survey of players/parents, etc.

no, the problem most def doesn't go away.......same guy has the same issues with every coach every season; my kid is getting held back/screwed, here's how......i could tell you some stories.....the issue is 100% this parent

both parent coaches in the system are very good travel coaches, bring as much (or more) knowledge & experience to the field as coach on the staff, both would be two of the top coaches in the league if they took over another team....both will still be here after their daughter are gone

4 coaches for 17 girls allows for lots of teaching, lots of attention.....necessary? no......an advantage and a luxury? 100%

you've never seen parents coach their own kids evenly and objectively?

i'd suggest you come to one of my practices then.....although you'd see my kid held to a far higher standard

you really, really need to show us on this doll where the bad parent coach hurt you.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi