High School Daddy Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Maybe I'm naive but, I have wondered why coaches would do this? You hear it over and over again about how a coach plays kids that only help the team to lose yet, coach is stubborn about them playing every inning of every game. Why? Are they in love with the kid? I can't think of any other reason. It's not like everyone else doesn't see what's going on. Don't they have any self respect?
To be fair we only get one side of the story on here…

Jun 8, 2016
You would think EI would have done a story by this point about Power 5 Player Penelope who is succeeding despite being screwed by her HS coach..

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021
If you are a dad/coach your DD needs to be undeniable one of the best players, if not the best player on the team. Otherwise you going to have grumbling.

Even when she is obviously the best coaches still hear it. I got stuck coaching the varsity team this year after the head coach had to step down abruptly for personal reasons right before the season. I have coached travel for a while and there weren’t better options available. My kid is a pretty good pitcher and much better than what they had previously (her first year at that school). She has the third highest batting average on the team and hasn’t hit above 6th spot all year. I still have one dad that won’t stop grumbling when his kid is batting .150 and has a 20 era and still gets some pitching reps.

I get the daddy ball argument and it can be a very real issue. But remember there are a few of us out there that just want to win and develop all the girls. It would be easier for my kid if I wasn’t the coach. Managing playing time for 15 girls isn’t easy, I am learning the hard way. Sometimes you just reward a kid for busting their tail at practice but parents don’t know that. Daddy ball can be a real issue but it can also be a lazy argument because someone wants their kid to play more. If I didn’t step up to coach they may not be playing this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 5, 2022
I’m sure that daddy ball and other politics are real in high school ball just as politics are real in college ball and life, but I don’t think it’s a rampant as people would have us believe. I think it’s a combination of rose colored glasses and people not being able to see the team as a whole unit but only their child’s role on it.

Apr 14, 2022
Maybe I'm naive but, I have wondered why coaches would do this? You hear it over and over again about how a coach plays kids that only help the team to lose yet, coach is stubborn about them playing every inning of every game. Why? Are they in love with the kid? I can't think of any other reason. It's not like everyone else doesn't see what's going on. Don't they have any self respect?
I think they are just ignorant to the fact.
Why did the Bills bench flutie for Rob Johnson. Or the chiefs bench Gannon for Grbac?
Why did I see an D1 softball coach sacrificing with a player that hit 2 home runs the day before? (Hit a hr in her next an as well) Or getting caught steeling in front of a player that hit 3 dingers the week before?

Most softball coaches at every level still manage like the mound is 40’, the ball is dead, and the players are using an aluminum bat like it was 1988.

The whole sport of baseball overvalued BA/hits over OB% and walks for 100 years. 56 game hitting streak is valued over 84 game on base streak by Ted Williams.
I do not think coaches realize they are mismanaging players and the game.

Apr 14, 2022
I’m sure that daddy ball and other politics are real in high school ball just as politics are real in college ball and life, but I don’t think it’s a rampant as people would have us believe. I think it’s a combination of rose colored glasses and people not being able to see the team as a whole unit but only their child’s role on it.

It is pretty rampant around where I reside. Having daughters I attend many sporting events over the last decade where they cheer dance, etc. I do not have a kid playing. I play spot the political player, been correct 90% of the time.
The favoritism is usually how many times a kid is allowed to fail. A administrators/coaches kid might be allowed 10 mistakes and keep their spot another might be allowed 2.

I would normally would just say life lesson, however you cannot just change schools. In other words if the owners son/daughter gets promoted over you, you can accept or change job. If the coaches kids is playing over you, it is hard to change schools have to accept or quit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole