High School Daddy Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
On the way out of practice the catcher's dad caught up to my dd and said "everything clear now" after the HC's talk with her in a smug kind of way. What a jerk, I wanted to punch the guy in the face. Not really, I'm not a violent person but seriously mean and this guy is supposedly "coaching" my dd. I have no doubt his work is anti-productive. I just learned he screwed around with her swing at the beginning of the season so...
Hopefully you responded with everything has always been perfectly clear.

I would watch this if he was passive aggressive toward you he maybe toward your daughter.

If it worsens this is what you go to the AD with. Make sure your daughter tells you of comments like this in practice.

May 20, 2015
sorry this sucks so hard

we have the exact opposite position......we have a head coach with no kids, an assistant with no kids, and then two volunteer assistants (myself and another), both with kids on our HS team........we sit at 40 straight wins, two time defending state champs.....small school, 16 girls total, to be honest the bottom of our lineup is the thinnest it has been in 4 years

all we do is make decisions that benefit the team......i've had a ton of experience coaching my daughters, never had an issue, if you ask my kids they've had it tougher than their teammates, but it has worked out for them.......DD1 is a high end student, pre law, 25 starts her freshman year.....

anyhow, we have one parent who just accuses the other assistant of favoring his own.......everything is a meeting or phone call with the AD.....to the point where he's nervous scoring her as reached on an error in game changer and consults with all of us first

both their DDs are pitchers.....we view it as 1A and 1B, we double barrel the big games, last year they finished with like 55 & 58 innings each......but everything we do ends up being scrutinized and whined about......it's gotten old, it's not as much fun a ride as it should be

Jun 20, 2015
hard to argue with results and stuff, especially with coaches with no kids on team. And i'm sure that there are numerous coaches all over, that are fair and impartial & just doing best to win.

BUT like most things that 1 daddy ball coach, that 1 coach that selectively applies his own rules, that 1 coach that acts inappropriately..... and those are the BAD ones that all recall instantly.

Apr 14, 2022
sorry this sucks so hard

we have the exact opposite position......we have a head coach with no kids, an assistant with no kids, and then two volunteer assistants (myself and another), both with kids on our HS team........we sit at 40 straight wins, two time defending state champs.....small school, 16 girls total, to be honest the bottom of our lineup is the thinnest it has been in 4 years

all we do is make decisions that benefit the team......i've had a ton of experience coaching my daughters, never had an issue, if you ask my kids they've had it tougher than their teammates, but it has worked out for them.......DD1 is a high end student, pre law, 25 starts her freshman year.....

anyhow, we have one parent who just accuses the other assistant of favoring his own.......everything is a meeting or phone call with the AD.....to the point where he's nervous scoring her as reached on an error in game changer and consults with all of us first

both their DDs are pitchers.....we view it as 1A and 1B, we double barrel the big games, last year they finished with like 55 & 58 innings each......but everything we do ends up being scrutinized and whined about......it's gotten old, it's not as much fun a ride as it should be
Why does the volunteer coach not just step aside?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I guess I should mention that my dd played for a daddy ball coach in HS. That idiot didn't pitch her her senior year. 🤫

Jan 25, 2022
Glad you at least got some resolution on this. It sounds to me like the freshman's dad tries to tell the HC what to do...or just annoys him until he gives in and wastes games to see if the freshman can catch. It also sounds like your kid advocated for herself and HC decided to actually do his job.

The hitting thing makes no sense, though. If she's hitting better than everyone else, then I would presume that means she's got the highest BA. No coach with a shred of sanity would DH for their best hitter.

Oct 3, 2019
I just find it odd that a parent is even coaching a HS team - wouldn't a private school be able to afford to get actual coaches? Is the coach going to leave once his daughter graduates? At least in our school you have to be a teacher as well in order to coach.

We never had daddy ball on our school teams but def had a coach who played favorites. No matter how many errors they made or how badly they hit - there were always girls who NEVER sat.
Maybe I'm naive but, I have wondered why coaches would do this? You hear it over and over again about how a coach plays kids that only help the team to lose yet, coach is stubborn about them playing every inning of every game. Why? Are they in love with the kid? I can't think of any other reason. It's not like everyone else doesn't see what's going on. Don't they have any self respect?