High School Ball Drama

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
How bad have your experiences been?

My DD is on day 3 of practice and already girls that she's never been friends with are talking about her and how she's rude and cocky. Those are two things my DD is not. Yes I know I'm not with her 24/7 but I've never witnessed her be rude and she tends to make friends everywhere. As for being cocky, most people say that when they don't share your level of confidence.

But I'm wondering if the drama is going to be like this for the next 4 years or does it subside? We don't have these issues in TB with players only parents LOL.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW

My DD is on day 3 of practice and already girls that she's never been friends with are talking about her and how she's rude and cocky. Those are two things my DD is not. Yes I know I'm not with her 24/7 but I've never witnessed her be rude and she tends to make friends everywhere. As for being cocky, most people say that when they don't share your level of confidence.

But I'm wondering if the drama is going to be like this for the next 4 years or does it subside? We don't have these issues in TB with players only parents LOL.
The Seniors called my Freshman daughter a "Try-hard." They have been practicing now for over a week, and we still don't know which team she's on. She's been busting her butt and, indeed, trying hard. I just laughed and told her, "There are worse things they could call you."

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas

It will die down...part of the experience for some, I think. DD went through it, and now it is past her. Due to her experiences, she goes out of her way to make sure the freshmen have a more positive experience than she did.

Sep 29, 2014
Those comments are probably coming from upperclassman who hope that coach does not notice her and that their "spot" in the lineup is now in jeopardy. Once season gets going things should get better because as much as some bench sitters still might talk behind her back her other teammates will value her contributions to the team.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Those comments are probably coming from upperclassman who hope that coach does not notice her and that their "spot" in the lineup is now in jeopardy. Once season gets going things should get better because as much as some bench sitters still might talk behind her back her other teammates will value her contributions to the team.

This is pretty much what I told her. It's a little funny that a school that hasn't won more than 3 games in a season in over 10 years would have this sense of entitlement when a player with some talent shows up they want them gone that fast. I'm hoping the head coach put it to rest last night when he explained to all the players he doesn't care about your last name or that your mom and dad volunteer, he's there to try and win games.

Oct 19, 2009
IMO if a coach(s) can control the drama on a team, then they are on their way to a successful season.

Feb 15, 2016
This is pretty much what I told her. It's a little funny that a school that hasn't won more than 3 games in a season in over 10 years would have this sense of entitlement when a player with some talent shows up they want them gone that fast. I'm hoping the head coach put it to rest last night when he explained to all the players he doesn't care about your last name or that your mom and dad volunteer, he's there to try and win games.

HS coaches have a tougher job than some might think depending on the district. I think girls' sports such as softball are even tougher when you add some schools where only a handful of girls play competitively outside of school. There will always be freshmen who are better than some upperclassmen. At some of the big schools, JRs and SRs play varsity with an occasional very talented sophomore. Freshmen aren't even allowed to compete for varsity spots. In other cases, a coach has pressure to keep participation up and if a bunch of JRs sit the bench they will probably quit before the next season. At a small school how do you deal with pitchers and catchers and ensure that Varsity, JV, and C-Squad (if you have it) all have decent girls to fill those positions? Tough to put your #3 pitcher on JV when she is a JR and could start in the OF when #2 pitcher is a Sophomore who is marginally better at pitching but can also play SS and 3B. If you can remember that HS ball is not going to be the same as travel or club ball, take the word "fair" out of your vocabulary, and remind your DD that this is an opportunity to have fun, play ball with her friends from school, and represent her school on the field she will probably enjoy it regardless of where she plays.

As far as older girls making comments, it is a rare team I have seen where the returning upperclassmen who are getting their positions threatened take that development with complete grace and poise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207