High School Age Swings for Discussionm

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
This hitter doesn't have a sense of throw from the very start. She doesn't move forward and prepare to throw.
Bold above. Makes me wonder if the hitter was concerned about 'casting the hands'.
howser:Yes it is.In your view what is a good way to understand and communicate throwing the barrel while still making sure you are using the hands and core rotation and not casting early in the swing?

16llpw7.gif

I also see this more of using the front leg as the 'pivot point' instead of the RHPP. I never was a fan of the cue of 'pointing the toes to china'. Most hitters with that 'look' just seem to drag the rear leg/foot through. Again JMHO.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This hitter doesn't have a sense of throw from the very start. She doesn't move forward and prepare to throw.
Bold above. Makes me wonder if the hitter was concerned about 'casting the hands'.
howser:Yes it is.In your view what is a good way to understand and communicate throwing the barrel while still making sure you are using the hands and core rotation and not casting early in the swing?

16llpw7.gif

I also see this more of using the front leg as the 'pivot point' instead of the RHPP. I never was a fan of the cue of 'pointing the toes to china'. Most hitters with that 'look' just seem to drag the rear leg/foot through. Again JMHO.

I agree on both points.

There is a cast in the swing. You are casting/throwing/flailing the barrel into and through impact. The 'around' restricts casting, whereas the 'along' promotes casting. She needs to learn to cast ... to throw ... to flail ... into and through impact.

I see the pivot point you mention. She steps on to her front leg and swings.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ted Williams didn't rotate his shoulders into impact like the girl in 'white' does here. Ted threw the barrel, and the act of throwing the barrel had his lower body and torso bracing for that throw.

9jeqvk.gif

Apr 28, 2015
FFS, when you give an explanation with the gifs you post, you are very helpful. I appreciate when you take the time to explain things as I don't always see the reason you post the gifs. Thanks. I appreciate your contributions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

16llpw7.gif

I agree on both points.

There is a cast in the swing. You are casting/throwing/flailing the barrel into and through impact. The 'around' restricts casting, whereas the 'along' promotes casting. She needs to learn to cast ... to throw ... to flail ... into and through impact.

I see the pivot point you mention. She steps on to her front leg and swings.

To follow up ….

The sequence for the girl wearing a white shirt is to perform an “upper body wind” as the weight (COM) is brought rearward. This is then followed by an “all forward”.

2zef8ur.gif

The sequence here is to prepare to throw as the weight (COM) is brought forward.

qprqkn.gif

It's a different sequence pattern.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How so? To me the sequence seems similar to most swings I see on the Model Swings thread so I would be curious as to what I am missing when it comes to sequence. Could you pick a model swing or two to compare/contrast

FFS and RDB did a better job addressing this with more detail.

FFS - Good info! :)

May 3, 2014
Ted Williams didn't rotate his shoulders into impact like the girl in 'white' does here. Ted threw the barrel, and the act of throwing the barrel had his lower body and torso bracing for that throw.

9jeqvk.gif

Gold post. Not unlike the 4 point of resistance in windmill throwing.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
To follow up ….

The sequence for the girl wearing a white shirt is to perform an “upper body wind” as the weight (COM) is brought rearward. This is then followed by an “all forward”.

2zef8ur.gif

The sequence here is to prepare to throw as the weight (COM) is brought forward.

qprqkn.gif

It's a different sequence pattern.

Good post FFS. The difference between the green line and the two vertical red lines is what I was referring to in my post. The Miggy gif explains it better than I could in words.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619