High School Age Swings for Discussionm

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
EricF is right ... this is shift THEN swing ... and restrict energy transfer.

douiky.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009

douiky.gif

This looks like it could be a timing issue. Reaching for the ball. As far as the shift/swing issue.

I agree they need to throw the barrel. The lower half is what I liked if the ball was in deeper in the zone.

They won't need much tweaking to have a great swing.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

One thing that stands out to me is how her hands stay positioned next to her rear shoulder as she moves out. I do not see any "extra stretch" at this point. Some refer to it as "walking away from the hands". Could this lack of extra stretch possibly lead to "restricting the along"?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Good stuff FFS.

Yes it is.In your view what is a good way to understand and communicate throwing the barrel while still making sure you are using the hands and core rotation and not casting early in the swing?

I wouldn't over complicate things here.

Ask these two girls to play catch. After they are warmed up and throwing well, stop them and ask them how their core is causing them to rotate?

I've done this hundreds of times ... And at first the girls didn't even realize they were rotating. I have to have then return to throwing so that they can observe that they are becoming rotated.

You see, rotation is the result of a good sequence and shouldn't be something you should have to consciously force.

The girl in white here is juiced up on rotation. She rotates into impact.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

douiky.gif

This looks like it could be a timing issue. Reaching for the ball. As far as the shift/swing issue.

I agree they need to throw the barrel. The lower half is what I liked if the ball was in deeper in the zone.

They won't need much tweaking to have a great swing.

This swing here is pretty much what you get when your swing model is to rotate your torso into impact instead of throwing the barrel.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

One thing that stands out to me is how her hands stay positioned next to her rear shoulder as she moves out. I do not see any "extra stretch" at this point. Some refer to it as "walking away from the hands". Could this lack of extra stretch possibly lead to "restricting the along"?

This hitter doesn't have a sense of throw from the very start. She doesn't move forward and prepare to throw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619