High five for the HS coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2008
I am certain she is not the only kid on the planet to have had these experiences but I defer to your expertise.

Since you enjoy it so much I may as well make it a threefer. What is important is the FREE education she will be receiving. And all without ever stepping on a High School softball field.

Good luck to you and yours.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I am certain she is not the only kid on the planet to have had these experiences but I defer to your expertise.

Since you enjoy it so much I may as well make it a threefer. What is important is the FREE education she will be receiving. And all without ever stepping on a High School softball field.

Good luck to you and yours.

Just curious, and I wish you and yours the best of luck.

Why does she not play HS? Does she not care about taking that talent and representing her team, community, and school? A free individual scholarship is great. Having your team photo, a retired jersey, and trophy in the school entryway for a state championship last forever. It shows girls for years and years after you leave that you and the team made a mark in history. It is a very rare occasion.

There are tons of college players who played both TB and HS.

Jul 4, 2008
She is playing HS ball this year. She is a freshman. My point was not that HS ball is a bad thing as in my opinion it is a great thing. It is as some have mentioned a great social experience for the players and my DD is very much looking forward to it. It will be the only time she has ever played with her friends from her hometown.

My contention is that HS Ball is not some devastating pressure cooker that eats travel ball players alive. As with most things in life those who have taken the time to properly prepare and develop their skills will be just fine regardless of their seniority in class.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
She is playing HS ball this year. She is a freshman. My point was not that HS ball is a bad thing as in my opinion it is a great thing. It is as some have mentioned a great social experience for the players and my DD is very much looking forward to it. It will be the only time she has ever played with her friends from her hometown.

My contention is that HS Ball is not some devastating pressure cooker that eats travel ball players alive. As with most things in life those who have taken the time to properly prepare and develop their skills will be just fine regardless of their seniority in class.

Agreed, and you'll have to keep us posted on how HS works out.

My advice until you know what you're in for. Keep some TUMS in your right pocket in case the politics give you an upset stomach, and keep some sunflower seeds in your left pocket to shove in your mouth when you want to scream...........BS. :)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
GoingDeep, nice analogy about HS ball being it's own animal. So true! Where we live, kids follow the high school team when young. They know all of the players and due to a lot of community involvement, most young players know the high school kids fairly well. Kids in our community are as likely to be wearing the HS team softball camp shirts around as their travel ball teams. Our trophy case is well represented with All State Players and so, the dream begins for so many in our communty. My child was no different.

Per the comment about "free school," with D-I schools carrying 20 players and D-II schools carrying 18, and with the limited number of scholarships available, (12 and 7.2 respectfully) those full rides are harder to come by than most parents want to admit. Still, isn't it ironic that every player who lands at a college is on a full ride? As an FYI, my college freshman is not on a full ride.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Nocents96, I really don't know. I do know that most D-I softball programs do not have the 12 scholarships that are suggested by the NCAA. In fact, for my child, a large number had between 9 and 10 scholarships for their D-I programs. Most of the D-I programs offered my child between 40 and 50%. Then again, they were not looking at her to pitch. (Well, one was but only one.) Apparently, your child is an accomplished pitcher and so, you might just get that full athletic ride. Good luck.

Jul 4, 2008
Thank you again for sharing your insight. I appreciate that you are willing to share your experience with the recruiting process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01