High five for the HS coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
From about 5-6 is when the loonies start to show up. They circle the field like buzzards!!!!

When DD was playing HS there used to be a daddy who showed up at the end of practice every day. While all the other parents were outside waiting he had to go inside the building. He would walk out with the coach all the way to her car after every practice. Fortunately, the coach was smart enough to see the butt kisser extraordinaire for what he was. His kid had a freshman playing if front of her all season long until the freshie got hurt near the end of the season.

Loved the DD's HS coach. She put the best team on the field no matter what year they were. She was fortunate. She had the support of the AD who didn't put up with the parent non-sense. But, he was able to with nearly 4,000 kids at the school.

JBG

Jul 27, 2011
Southern MD
LOL...

We have not started yet....but last year the JV and the Varsity Scrimmaged and the JV's beat the varsity! ;)

Yet the coach still didnt play the younger players on varsity!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
LOL...

We have not started yet....but last year the JV and the Varsity Scrimmaged and the JV's beat the varsity! ;)

Yet the coach still didnt play the younger players on varsity!

I wanted him to do that when our Juniors ( now ) where freshman. We would have torn the varsity apart. I just don't think he had the nerve to do it, because he knew the outcome would have really shaken things up. But I'm glad he did it this year.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I have to say in watching games there are hardly any parents around there either.

We must have more lawyers than you do. And there would certainly be no last-hour softball classes. Plus schools here get out early and some practices are over by 4:30pm. Now games are later because of traffic.

Softball gate fees and concession's make more money than every sport except football. It's by far the biggest attraction around here. Bleacher's are full, most will bring bring their own lawn chairs early...........to claim front row spots.

I don't get the lawyer part? In our state it is fine to have a athletic instructional class as a credit. I think it's a great idea, wish we had that back in my days.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There are no softball gate fees, for regular season in either IL. or AZ.

I went to a large tournament over the weekend in Tucson and parents were surprised to have to pay $5.00. It was at a large complex. I don't know where they thought the money was going to come from, for that.

Nov 29, 2009
Our parents are not allowed to do that sort of thing (I would tell the parent to bug off and if he didn't, call the police if someone followed me like that) and are told certain rules about what is up for discussion, what is not, and when they are allowed to discuss it.

The guy would not pester the coach about playing time for his DD. He was one of those guys felt he had to be involved with everything his DD did. The freshie who played in front of his kid was a vastly superior player. His kid had a brick in her glove and wore concrete spikes. She would dive and make it look like she was making a spectacular effort for a ball that she missed. The freshie would have made the play on a normal day.

Dec 7, 2011
Screwball - "the weight of HS",........ Really?

The senior class men that need to be displaced by the young competitive TB players are the ones that go to games and in the heat of battle want to just talk about Jersey Shores..... Rec ball is ONLY for rec ball.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I've been on both sides of this coin, as have/will most of you when your DD comes of age.

My freshman DD came into HS ball with 2 seniors and 1 junior in the pitching roster. But I didn't cry a river, I didn't make an a$$ of myself to the coach or behind his back. I sat for about 3 games, watched the older pitchers get hammered and then DD had her opportunity. After that she pitched the majority of varsity, and I didn't have to say a word or lift a finger.

This group of young ladies ( the 8 juniors ) have broken school records since the 8th grade ( and onto HS ). Our big city metro paper called them the Elite Eight in 2009. In MS basketball they came in second in sub-state ( which had never been done and as far as MS ball will go / no state championship like in HS ) In MS softball they only lost 1 game all season and won the regional playoffs for the first time in MS history. ( regions is as far as MS goes in softball / nothing beyond it ) Same group has 3 state championships in TB. They are very athletic and well seasoned in sports. No way the younger group can measure up, not now anyway.

This group of freshman have done nothing, they play B class local tournaments, no state titles, no worthy accomplishments. We are 1 week into practice and the coach is about to pull his hair out with all the drama. So I applaud him for the fast planning of this matchup.

Will it solve the problems, probably not. Was it fun to watch, hell yes.

I think the poodin tasted pretty good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1