Here is a great one!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If the ump calls "foul" and sends the batter back to the box, and the runner back to 3rd, I would expect the defensive coach to argue that no catch was attempted because of the IFF call by the ump while the ball was still in the air, and without the call, it likely would have been caught for the out. The IFF call affected how the defense handled the ball. I'm not sure what the proper protocol is, but it seems to me that the catch should be made before the IFF call is made.

Jun 22, 2008
If the ump calls "foul" and sends the batter back to the box, and the runner back to 3rd, I would expect the defensive coach to argue that no catch was attempted because of the IFF call by the ump while the ball was still in the air, and without the call, it likely would have been caught for the out. The IFF call affected how the defense handled the ball. I'm not sure what the proper protocol is, but it seems to me that the catch should be made before the IFF call is made.

Page 228 of the 2013 ASA rule book.

INFIELD FLY
1) Stand up-right facing square to the play with feet shoulder width apart and eyes on the ball.

2) When the ball reaches its highest point extend your right arm above your head with fist closed and verbalize "Infield Fly" or if near foul line, "Infield Fly, if fair".

The defensive coach can argue all he wants if it was ruled a foul ball. The rule is very clear, the ball must be fair to be an IFF, and if it was untouched and rolled foul prior to passing 1st or 3rd base you have absolutely nothing but a foul ball.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Page 228 of the 2013 ASA rule book.

INFIELD FLY
1) Stand up-right facing square to the play with feet shoulder width apart and eyes on the ball.

2) When the ball reaches its highest point extend your right arm above your head with fist closed and verbalize "Infield Fly" or if near foul line, "Infield Fly, if fair".

The defensive coach can argue all he wants if it was ruled a foul ball. The rule is very clear, the ball must be fair to be an IFF, and if it was untouched and rolled foul prior to passing 1st or 3rd base you have absolutely nothing but a foul ball.

Thank you for the clarification. I understand now. The fault is on the defense for letting the ball drop rather than making the catch.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Question: If this was being played under NSA rules, does anyone know the interpretation of a batted ball passing 1st & 3rd base for fair/foul consideration. ASA and others consider the "base lines" as the defining point of "passing" the base to be a fair ball.

At one time, NFHS considered a line directly from 1st to 3rd to be the defining point for a fair/foul ball. IOW, a ball which landed beyond that line with a back spin could roll into foul territory, but was considered a fair ball.

If NSA has such an interpretation, that may be their reason for keeping the out.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
CALLING FAIR OR FOUL BALLS
For fly balls hit near the base lines, the call is always fair or foul then safe or out. Batted balls that are either fair or foul need only to be called out. The calls should be called in a loud and decisive manner, leaving no doubt whether the ball is fair or foul.
Remember in order for a batted ball to be called fair, the ball must be on or bouncing over fair territory including any portion of first or third base. Most importantly, remember that the position of the ball is always and the only determining factor in calling a batted ball fair or foul.

Jun 1, 2013
I must be missing something. Ball was fair, ump correctly calls IFF rule, probably scared the girls when he did it but either way he made correct call and lack of coaching is to blame for ball rolling foul. It is not a dead ball, runner score counts. Never heard the ball had to pass a certain point for IFF to come into effect. Between pitcher and first is not close to foul line.

Amy, my understanding is umps aren't supposed to say a word when it is fair, only if foul.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I must be missing something. Ball was fair, ump correctly calls IFF rule, probably scared the girls when he did it but either way he made correct call and lack of coaching is to blame for ball rolling foul. It is not a dead ball, runner score counts. Never heard the ball had to pass a certain point for IFF to come into effect.

Amy, my understanding is umps aren't supposed to say a word when it is fair, only if foul.

But, what constitutes a foul ball? A bunt that is initially fair then rolls foul, what is that? What if the IFF wasn't in play and the same play happened. A pop up that hits fair and bounces foul? Thanks to the umpires here I now know the correct ruling.

May 26, 2013
The actual call is suppose to be IFF if fair. Ball has to be fair to be an IFF.

This is correct. Last weekend had a pop up between home and 3rd. While the balls in the air home ump calls out "IFF if ball is fair" Ball bounced and rolled foul. Just a foul ball then.

Jun 1, 2013
MTR, did the ump make the correct call? That part of the rule that says IF close to baseline, doesn't that leave it in his judgement. He did not say iff if foul. He made a ruling, defense should have played the ball. Is this correct? Fly ball between pitcher and first, is not considered close is it? Using ASA rule above.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs