Here is a great one!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
MTR, did the ump make the correct call? That part of the rule that says IF close to baseline, doesn't that leave it in his judgement. He did not say iff if foul. He made a ruling, defense should have played the ball. Is this correct? Fly ball between pitcher and first, is not considered close is it? Using ASA rule above.

It isnt a rule as to what the umpire is suppose to say, it is a mechanic. Regardless of what the umpire may have called, or didnt call while the ball was in the air the ball rolled untouchd foul. It is a foul ball.

Jul 6, 2013
Wow. Great discussion! In same situation, if ball is hit directly to second baseman and IFF is called, what would happen if second baseman misses ball? Still IFF right? Batter can't be awarded first can she? Why would this be any different? Ball was fair, rolled foul...I know foul ball is foul ball...but doesn't the IFF ruling basically determine the outcome..."out"- catch or not?

Jun 22, 2008
Again, the ball MUST be fair to be an IFF. If the ball falls untouched and rolls foul, it is nothing but a foul ball.

Jan 24, 2011
Good Lord. This is just about as simple as it gets. Why are people struggling so much? The ball went foul. It is nothing more than a foul ball.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I'm thinking the IFF rule took over here, blue called it so its the same as if the ball had been caught regardless of where it landed or rolled to. The runner on third simply "tagged up" and scored... I believe that was the correct call.

Jul 6, 2013
I don't doubt the call. I'm not doubting comp. I'm just trying to figure if that was the spirit of the rule I guess...considering the IFF rule shouldn't be made unless the ball would be caught with ordinary effort in fair territory. Even if a girl doesn't catch a ball that stays fair, it is still an out if called IFF. My thought is that the spirit is that if it would be fair when caught. However, I know that's not the way it is being called here, and I am not an umpire. I could see it either way being called, and would have to submit to whatever the umpire rules in a game we are playing. But apparently there is at least one set of umpires who thinks the same thing.

Jun 22, 2008
I'm thinking the IFF rule took over here, blue called it so its the same as if the ball had been caught regardless of where it landed or rolled to. The runner on third simply "tagged up" and scored... I believe that was the correct call.

The IFF cannot supercede fair or foul. The ball was uncaught, there would be no need for any runners to "tag up". Once again, the ball was foul, nothing more, runners cannot advance on a foul ball. Bring the batter back, put the runners back where they were and do it again.

Jul 6, 2013
Yeah I got you guys. As I said, I'm not doubting what is being said here. And the fact that comp said the IFF call can't supersede the foul call helps. Many calls in ball are superseded by other calls. For example, a HPU can't call foul on a bunt, have the defense stop play, three runs score, and then come back and say "oh yeah...it was fair". All I was thinking is the IFF could supersede the foul ball call since the ball came down in fair territory. Not whether a ball the lands fair on the infield and rolls foul is a foul...we all know that to be correct.

Thanks for that clarification comp...I could have made his shorter by asking that right from the get go. Lol

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The NCAA rule is very clear:

1.68 Infield Fly Rule When declared by the umpire, a fair fly ball (not a line drive or an attempted bunt)
that can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort when base runners are on first
and second bases or all three bases are occupied and before there are two outs in the
inning. Any defensive player positioned in the infield at the time of the pitch shall
be considered an infielder for the purpose of this rule. The ball is live, the batter
is out, which removes the force, but base runners may advance at their own risk.
The base runners may tag up and advance as soon as the batted ball is touched by a
fielder. When a declared infield fly becomes foul, it is treated as a foul ball, not an
infield fly. If a declared infield fly ball falls untouched to the ground in foul territory
and rolls into fair territory before passing first or third base, it is an infield fly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand