Here is a great one!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2012
2nd game on Sunday, we had bases loaded no outs batter hits a very shallow pop up ump calls infield fly batter out, runners hold on base, ball lands somewhere between pitcher and 1st base none on the fielders try and make a play on the ball, ball lands and skips hard out of bounds to the fence half way down on the 1st base side. Everyone kind of stands there for a few seconds and one of our coaches tells the runner on 3rd to take home (not kidding) she does and now everybody is looking at each other, I say rather loudly "you can't score on a foul ball like that" most of our parents around me are telling me the shut it including my DW who is coaching 3rd base(she is not the one who sent the runner it was another coach from the dugout) ump calls time they confer and go to the back of the fence and talk with someone with a NSA hat on and let the play stand. Batter out run scores. And me with my jaw on the ground. We ended up winning, and that play made a small difference but I believe we would have won without it. I think that is the most amazing thing I have seen this year

Jun 22, 2008
You dont specify, but Im assuming the ball rolled past the foul line between home and 1st? Your statement halfway down on the 1st base side could mean the ball went out halfway to the outfield fence.

If the ball went past the foul line between home and 1st it is nothing but a foul ball, batter is not out and runners cannot advance. If it went past the foul line after passing 1st base, then it is a live ball, batter would be out on the IFF call and all other runners can advance with liability to be put out.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
You dont specify, but Im assuming the ball rolled past the foul line between home and 1st? Your statement halfway down on the 1st base side could mean the ball went out halfway to the outfield fence.

If the ball went past the foul line between home and 1st it is nothing but a foul ball, batter is not out and runners cannot advance. If it went past the foul line after passing 1st base, then it is a live ball, batter would be out on the IFF call and all other runners can advance with liability to be put out.

Even if he called IFF while the ball was in the air?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
2nd game on Sunday, we had bases loaded no outs batter hits a very shallow pop up ump calls infield fly batter out, runners hold on base, ball lands somewhere between pitcher and 1st base none on the fielders try and make a play on the ball, ball lands and skips hard out of bounds to the fence half way down on the 1st base side. Everyone kind of stands there for a few seconds and one of our coaches tells the runner on 3rd to take home (not kidding) she does and now everybody is looking at each other, I say rather loudly "you can't score on a foul ball like that" most of our parents around me are telling me the shut it including my DW who is coaching 3rd base(she is not the one who sent the runner it was another coach from the dugout) ump calls time they confer and go to the back of the fence and talk with someone with a NSA hat on and let the play stand. Batter out run scores. And me with my jaw on the ground. We ended up winning, and that play made a small difference but I believe we would have won without it. I think that is the most amazing thing I have seen this year

Why in the world would you say anything with your team up to bat? I could see if your team was on defense.... but??? were you trying to take runs away from your team?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
He should have said something, because now, everyone at the park will think that is the correct call. I still don't understand why your wife sent the runner and everyone then, agreed that the run scored.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
He should have said something, because now, everyone at the park will think that is the correct call. I still don't understand why your wife sent the runner and everyone then, agreed that the run scored.

Wait, a spectator should say something? I disagree. Calls go for you and calls go against you. When the call is for you, it's the other coach that needs to say something, not someone in the stands. If the opposing coach doesn't know the rules... sorry!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand