Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2021
Northern VA
Looking for feedback on '09 DD's pitching struggles. A couple things I can see is that she's too open and head/eyes turned away from target. Also, not sure if her leap is even legal or if that would be construed as a crow hop. Thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated...

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
She does replant, which is illegal if the umpires want to call it. The first issue I see is that she opens way to early. She turns her shoulders on the backswing and stays open on the upswing. Then she's too open from there on. From 6 o'clock to about 3 she should be relatively square, as she goes past 3 the shoulders should start to open. She also has some monkey butt which goes with the replant which might tie in with starting so open. When she gets to 3 o'clock on the upswing the glove and ball should be close to each other, she has the glove way out in front because she's so open. One drastic fix would be to have her come out of the glove and eliminate the backswing. But that's going to be a radical change and feel very weird to her, she probably won't like it at the start. Even practicing it dry, without a ball, might help.

Apr 1, 2021
Northern VA
She does replant, which is illegal if the umpires want to call it. The first issue I see is that she opens way to early. She turns her shoulders on the backswing and stays open on the upswing. Then she's too open from there on. From 6 o'clock to about 3 she should be relatively square, as she goes past 3 the shoulders should start to open. She also has some monkey butt which goes with the replant which might tie in with starting so open. When she gets to 3 o'clock on the upswing the glove and ball should be close to each other, she has the glove way out in front because she's so open. One drastic fix would be to have her come out of the glove and eliminate the backswing. But that's going to be a radical change and feel very weird to her, she probably won't like it at the start. Even practicing it dry, without a ball, might help.
Thanks ArmWhip! Her PC has been trying to stop the replant and emphasize toe drag, but the toe seems to zap momentum from her initial push off resulting in less velocity. I think she started it due to the craters that typically form in front of the rubber and her foot getting caught throwing her off balance.

Good obersvations on opening too soon - I see exactly what you're talking about and will try to get her working out of the glove. She loves to tinker with her windup (although it drives me crazy as I want consistency), so it probably won't be a hard sell to give that a go.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She needs to learn how to play pitch and catch underhanded. Her body seems really confused.

The main problem is lack of brush interference (BI).

If you take a video from the back, you will see that her arm is well away from her body.
She needs to be brush her arm against her body when she throws.

BI is closely related to posture. She needs to be standing straight, not bending over.

Here is a video Sarah Pauley, one of the truly great pitchers out there. You can see that she stands up tall and that her arm brushes her body when she throws.

Aug 20, 2017
338A7BF2-AED9-4859-AF89-3DAA2F8E5BBF.jpeg
Check out the shoulder orientation here. As Whip said she is getting open way too early. Dont “try” to get open. Let the motion of the arm circle naturally open the body. I’d start with that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi