Help!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2014
Background: My DD plays 12u for an excellent travel softball team. She has been catching for her Rec team but she pitches for the travel team. Her knowledge of catching is limited to what she should do with the ball and how to cover the bunt. She doesn't know how to position herself with runners on or the other basics. She's enough of an athlete to scare a rec player back to the base.

Help!!: She's been asked to catch for this travel team tomorrow!! Both of the catchers are out with injuries. She LOVES catching, so this is her chance. What should she absolutely learn before the game tomorrow at 10:30??

Thanks in advance.

Jan 7, 2013
Just relax, have fun and let her instincts take over. The rest comes with experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Background: My DD plays 12u for an excellent travel softball team. She has been catching for her Rec team but she pitches for the travel team. Her knowledge of catching is limited to what she should do with the ball and how to cover the bunt. She doesn't know how to position herself with runners on or the other basics. She's enough of an athlete to scare a rec player back to the base.

Help!!: She's been asked to catch for this travel team tomorrow!! Both of the catchers are out with injuries. She LOVES catching, so this is her chance. What should she absolutely learn before the game tomorrow at 10:30??

Thanks in advance.

Best short-term advice is to protect her throwing hand so that the team doesn't end up another injured catcher! Fingers loosely fisted over the thumb and the entire hand tucked behind the knee or behind the back. Just keep it simple in the game - catching and/or blocking pitches is a catcher's top priority. The rest is a bonus for an emergency catcher - throw if a runner tries to steal, take the sure out on bunts, and vocally support your teammates. Super extra bonus - if she has time tonight, get on line and get a PhD in psychology to help manage the pitcher's psyche.

Long-term catching goal should be to become a dedicated student disciple of NECC.

Good luck and don't sweat it tomorrow!

Aug 1, 2014
Solid gold. Thanks for the help. Today's the big day. I will keep an eye on the forum and post how she does.

Aug 1, 2014
Super extra bonus - if she has time tonight, get on line and get a PhD in psychology to help manage the pitcher's psyche.

Long-term catching goal should be to become a dedicated student disciple of NECC.

Good luck and don't sweat it tomorrow!

Had to laught at this one. She's a pitcher so she understands the insanity throwing the ball can cause. I think she's looking forward to helping the struggling pitcher.

These resources and comments here have helped a ton. We got up early and ran through a few things. She loves the stance from the vid. She's confident... For now. I am sure it will be fun.

Jan 22, 2011
I'm a pitchers dad, but make sure my DD understands how hard her catchers work. I've actually spent more time learning about catching than pitching up to this point because of what NEEC says:

'Pitcher with a great fastball-Potential'
'Pitcher with a great fastball and great catcher-Results!'

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619