help with recording inside

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2014
we live in the midwest, so my DD team will be playing a couple indoor tourneys this winter. I have a lynkspyder to mount to the backstop when we are outside to record with a gopro. Does anyone have experience recording inside where there isnt a typical chain link backstop? What type of mounts to use? I mounted the lynkspyder to the portable outfield fence and used the gopro software to zoom in as much as I could and I didnt really like the quality and people would lean on it so it would shake

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
we live in the midwest, so my DD team will be playing a couple indoor tourneys this winter. I have a lynkspyder to mount to the backstop when we are outside to record with a gopro. Does anyone have experience recording inside where there isnt a typical chain link backstop? What type of mounts to use? I mounted the lynkspyder to the portable outfield fence and used the gopro software to zoom in as much as I could and I didnt really like the quality and people would lean on it so it would shake

I really wish I had a good solution to net issues. My son's team will be playing in Elizabethtown Kentucky this summer, and most (if not all) of their fields have netting in place of chain link. If they let me (and they may not) I plan to shoot both on the net as well as off. For net setups (including shooting in a cage), the following setup is what I generally use:
1.) Turn the LynkSpyder upside down and use the "Window" in the main plate to shoot through. This offers your camera a bit more protection from a direct shot. When mounted to chain link fence, the fence evenly distributes the shock from a direct impact; causing very little stress on the camera. With netting, a direct impact will be substantially stronger. The window should help.
LSWindow.jpg

2.) Turn the LynkSpyder "claws" around such that the bends are facing you, not the fence. Then, with the netting in the claws, pull the claws down, into the main plate. This sort of clamps the netting in place so that the bracket can't be dislodged. (I will try to put together a tutorial or at least a picture of what I'm talking about).

But with that said, shots from netting have their issues. The camera will move around because of impact, people, and even wind. As a secondary camera (or perhaps the primary) I will mount a GoPro on a tripod and get it farther away from the net. The farther the camera is from the net, the less distracting the net will be in the shot. Depending on how far you get away, you could probably set the field of view to Narrow and still get the entire field in the frame. Getting the camera as high as possible will yield better video as it will reduce spectators from the shot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1