Help with Rec Pitching Practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
I am the coach of a minors Little League team of 10 and 11 year olds. Our team is fortunate to have two experienced, and by minors Little League standards, quite competent pitchers. We have four other aspiring pitchers who have had intermittent success.

When I am working one on one with my daughter, one of the experienced pitchers, we play a lot of underhand catch with her hitting certain spots, she does arm circles, walk-throughs and full motion pitching. We work a lot on hitting locations with her fastball and we are working on a change. Because we are one on one I can make little adjustments here and there and she gets a lot out of the sessions.

When I am working with our team of pitchers I get a bit lost because there are so many girls with so many mechanical issues. We often go through a similar progression, omitting the walk-throughs as they don’t have the mechanical consistency to add the extra steps without everything else falling apart. My question is, are there some drills we could be doing that might help isolate parts of the motion or focus on parts of the motion to help the inexperienced pick up the mechanics more quickly? I know it takes a long time, my daughter is just over a year and a half into the journey and it is just now really starting to come together for her. Any suggestions on how to handle pitching practices for half a dozen kids?

Thanks,
Robert

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
yeah...train their parents how to help them and let them work one on one or suggest getting a pitching coach. 6 pitchers that age are going to have a whole host of individual needs, unless you want to be a PC in the future I do not think it is worth your time investment.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
6 is way too many at one time unless they're more-or-less selfsufficient. I'd try to find a way to break up times to no more than 2 at a time. Kids who are brand new or making major changes prolly need a net for some things, or an adult to catch. Whenever possible take aim/control out of the equation as they're learning a new skill or major tweak, then add it in as soon as they demonstrate some mastery. Since each kid is so different, it's hard to suggest specific drills. "I/R in the Classroom" is always a great place to start.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
6 is way too many at one time unless they're more-or-less selfsufficient. I'd try to find a way to break up times to no more than 2 at a time. Kids who are brand new or making major changes prolly need a net for some things, or an adult to catch. Whenever possible take aim/control out of the equation as they're learning a new skill or major tweak, then add it in as soon as they demonstrate some mastery. Since each kid is so different, it's hard to suggest specific drills. "I/R in the Classroom" is always a great place to start.

The good news is that three of the girls are the daughters of my assistant coaches, so they have adults I am training to help them and they have an adult to coach and catch. I don't have enough hours to break them into really small groups, so they have to rely on their dads to help while I am focused on another girl. I try to just rotate between them. My daughter and the other experienced pitcher can just throw to one of our catchers and get some work in. They get the short end of the stick, but they are ready to work on self correcting and they have some idea how to do so.

I have spent a lot of time in the I/R in the Classroom thread and when they are playing underhand catch it is BM's unlock it drill. I have watched all of the Hillhouse videos many times and that is why I keep the drills to a minimum, but maybe there is something else I should be trying.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Do you know the "down on one knee" drills. It takes the stride out of it, so they can work on arm speed.

I don't have much success, working with a group, either. I haven't found that they retain much information.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I was thinking maybe they could meet up to chat pitching. Another option might be to see who's working with the Shock pitchers.

Speaking of WaSpeed02--best wishes in Centralia! Tempted to buzz up and watch, but the weekend is booked.

Ken

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
I don't know who the main Shock 02 pitcher uses but Eve Gaw is one of the most common pitching coaches in Robertc3's area.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
I don't know who the main Shock 02 pitcher uses but Eve Gaw is one of the most common pitching coaches in Robertc3's area.
I have tried to get my daughter in with Eve, but she is full. I am waiting for a spot to open up. The other experienced girl has a PC and the other four are not likely to make that commitment. They are rec ball pitchers and only one of the four appears to have the desire to become more than that. They can become good rec pitchers though, so I want to work as hard as I can for them.

@Amy - I will try the one knee work. My daughter does lots of work on her knees in our living room. Taking away parts of the mechanics should allow them to focus on something while I work with the other girls.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA