Help with Pitcher videos included. Thanks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2016
Read the h post I think I am getting it now. I think I will start out addressing the start with the proper first h. Then sequence to knee drive. My dd is pretty stubborn so this should be fun. To make it worse she has always had compliments about her stride and form. Love this site and all the contributions from everyone. Any positives I can tell her?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 8, 2017
Is the coach having her start with feet together for a drill, or is that how she's most comfortable pitching? She'd probably get better drive if she staggered her feet and got her body into more of a sprinters position. Like a previous post stated, her stride knee should lead, not her foot, I tell my dd to jab her knee and and then slam the foot hard (helps her stabilize stronger for front side resistance).

Overall, her mechanics look like she has put in a lot of time, a few tweaks is all that's really needed.

Nov 15, 2016
Is the coach having her start with feet together for a drill, or is that how she's most comfortable pitching? She'd probably get better drive if she staggered her feet and got her body into more of a sprinters position. Like a previous post stated, her stride knee should lead, not her foot, I tell my dd to jab her knee and and then slam the foot hard (helps her stabilize stronger for front side resistance).

Overall, her mechanics look like she has put in a lot of time, a few tweaks is all that's really needed.

Thanks yes this was just a drill. She has been leaving her push foot behind. This drill was to encourage her to bring it with her. Yes the drive knee I have been reading about is our next project. Thanks for the compliments. She does work hard. Only as good as her coaching though. I have a lot to learn. So happy for this site!!!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
For a 12YOA pitcher, she looks great. Her upper body IR is very good. The ball is in good position at 12 and 9.

As I said previously, work on leg drive.

Some more points from the new video:

a) She isn't swimming (throwing her glove to the left during the arm circle) as much. She needs to bring her glove down and tap the inside of her left leg. At some point (not now), you want to teach her adduction.

b) You need to check for brush interference (BI). BI is the key to control. Her arm should brush her hip during the release phase. So, do a video from behind. You want to see the inside of her right arm contacting her hip. She might struggle with this because the tolerance is very tight...the ball has to avoid contacting the hip, but the arm has to brush the hip.

Nov 15, 2016
Yes, I will get more video. I know she brushes because when teaching it she was banging her elbow thus the safety blanket sleeve she refuses to not wear. LOL. I will keep sending video. Thanks for all the encouragement. She has only been pitching for a year and I have been very happy with her progress. She is upset that she doesn't throw as hard as some girls. She only weighs about 77 lb and is about 4-9 or so. I keep telling her technique first, when you grow more speed will come. She coast about 47 though has hit 48/49 on occasion. Walk up yesterday at 52 was her PB so she is getting stronger. If I can just get her to use her legs we should pick up more speed obviously. I love the fact that yall took the time to help my DD out. It means a ton. I also love spending time with her and my other daughter learning to pitch. It has been fun and frustrating at the same time.

Apr 12, 2015
Any positives I can tell her?

A ton. For a first year 12, she looks phenominal. Don't take the "she is doing this wrong" and "she can do this better" to mean she isn't doing great. Honestly, I wish my kiddo looked like that at first year 12s.

She only weighs about 77 lb and is about 4-9 or so.

This tells me she hasn't physically matured yet. A large part of good leg drive has to do with physical maturity. Not only the leg strenght to generate the drive, but more importantly the core strength to harness the power of the drive into the pitch. Not to mention the physical discipline that lets her get her body into those positions. In other words, I wouldn't expect a perfect leg drive now. I'd just set the stage for it to develop in the next couple of years. Emphasize the proper technique, be sure to stomp out any bad habits and as she is coming into 14s you will start to really see that explosive drive and rock hard front side develop. But for now, until her core strength and physical maturity develops, emphasizing an explosive leg drive will probably cause more problems than it will solve.

She coast about 47 though has hit 48/49 on occasion. Walk up yesterday at 52 was her PB

If she throws that hard as a first year 12 speed is the last thing you, or anyone else, should be looking at or focusing on.

Nov 15, 2016
Wow I was feeling pretty good about her progress before I posted but am feeling a ton better now. Thanks! Yes she is worried because she is the smallest pitcher out there most weekends but has been playing A ball in the Houston area so she is seeing some very good competition. She isn't striking them all out by any means but definitely isn't getting shelled either. Very encouraging. I will let her know all the positives and slowly work on incorporating the leg drive sequence. I really like the 2 step drill just haven't emphasized it. Thanks everyone. Really really encouraging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00