Help with my 10yr old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
throwing-money.gif

lil-wayne-money.gif
Yeah... This is why I hate saying stuff like that. It sounds all braggy, doesn't it? But if they start offering her a FREE spot that'll be something new. Lol

Apr 8, 2013
50mph from 35' is less reaction time than 65mph from 43'.

Here's a handy chart to use when going to a cage with machines at various distances:

Equivalent Fastpitch Pitch Speeds Conversion Chart

at 35', 40mph is the same as 49.14mph at 43', and 69.14mph in MLB - middle school/weaker high school speeds
at 35', 45mph is the same as 55.29mph at 43', and 77.79mph in MLB - D2 speeds
at 35', 50mph is the same as 61.43mph at 43', and 86.43mph in MLB - low/mid level D1 speeds
at 35', 55mph is the same as 67.57mph at 43', and 95.07mph in MLB - getting into top tier D1 speeds
at 35', 60mph is the same as 73.71mph at 43', and 103.71mph in MLB - now you're printing money

Mar 31, 2011
Central Florida
Ok. Cool. Now that we've figured that out, does anyone else have input for the OP's DD?
Yes. Go through the learning experience. This is a mental hurdle all players face. Remember she's a 10 year old girl with normal 10 year old girl fears. It's a learning process that you can't skip. She and you will come to learn that the learning process is never over. PS I love grcsftbll's signature. "Crazy 10U mom"

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Being able to hit off a fixed pitching machine doesn't necessarily translate into being a good hitter against real pitching. At 10u rec, we would play a hitting game (a variation of the Barry Bonds drill) in the cages at 35 feet around 50mph, where if the batter hit the ball, she moved up 3 feet. If she missed, she moved back 3 feet. We had girls that would be within 10 feet of the pitching machine and could still make solid contact on the ball at 50mph. I don't know what that reaction time is but pretty damn fast. My point is that pitching machines are easy to hit off of once you get into a good rhythm. If you can hit off a live pitcher who pitches to all locations and changes speeds, that is what separates the gage animal from the real hitter.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Being able to hit off a fixed pitching machine doesn't necessarily translate into being a good hitter against real pitching. At 10u rec, we would play a hitting game (a variation of the Barry Bonds drill) in the cages at 35 feet around 50mph, where if the batter hit the ball, she moved up 3 feet. If she missed, she moved back 3 feet. We had girls that would be within 10 feet of the pitching machine and could still make solid contact on the ball at 50mph. I don't know what that reaction time is but pretty damn fast. My point is that pitching machines are easy to hit off of once you get into a good rhythm. If you can hit off a live pitcher who pitches to all locations and changes speeds, that is what separates the gage animal from the real hitter.

Reaction time = 10ft*(1mi/5280ft)*(3600sec/hr)/50mph = 0.136364secs.

The equivalent speed, for a hitter having that reaction time at 43ft, would be 215mph.

Every time I've seen such an approach used, it was my opinion that the result was not a positive in terms of swing development. I am receptive to reviewing video suggesting the opposite.

Jun 12, 2015
A pitching machine is much more predictable than a live pitcher. But if it's a confidence issue sometimes they just need to see that they can hit fast pitches. It helped my dd in that way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp