Help with Mechanical Issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Crab

Crab
Jan 21, 2013
Rocky mount nc
Frozen Rope.

She is not doing as instructed. Things like not leaning forward, staying open. She has been taught. Not the coaches fault. It is ours. My only issue with the instruction is that the movements of the throwing do not look like what elite pitchers do. I have asked but never get a real good answer. Aside from the arm motion, all other mechanical problems are self inflicted

Jun 18, 2010
Knight: I thought pushing the ball referred to getting behind the ball and straight arming through release?

Pushing the ball down the arm circle vs pulling the ball with the palm up. What I was trying to show in the slow motion gif is the orientation of the hand in the arm circle... palm down vs palm up.

What orientation do you see Sarah's hand at as she "pulls" the ball down the arm circle?

pauly_hand_zpsde60e8f9.png

Compare that to Crab's DD:

crab_hand_zps1bced63e.png

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
That picture shows several different comparisons, too. You can't really see Sarah's elbow, but I think that we can tell that she is "relaxed," compared to Crab's DD, that shows a more "tense" elbow. Then, note Sarah's posture. It just looks like she is walking, while the bottom picture shows a lunge going on, that Crab has already noted.

I would encourage this girl to relax, be more "Loosey goosey" and just fire the ball. No aiming. Let's just throw.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
the gif threw me. Were on the same page.

Crabs daughter's elbow does appear to be locked and ball pointing toward 2nd base

R

RayR

Crab - the advice about pulling the ball down vs pushing the ball down is central to all of your daughter's flaws.....she needs to retool her arm circle in which she is trying to pull the ball around the circle allowing her forearm to be as loose as possible....

Throwing from just the rear leg while pulling the ball around to release should give her an "aha" moment....my 2 cents

stv

May 12, 2010
If it makes you or her feel any better. We've all been there. You have to start somewhere and start improving from there.
As said earlier in this post do what the best do. It may help to let her watch some videos of the best pitchers and let her try to copy them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06