Help with knee problems

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2012
Texas
Hey everyone I need help my niece is 12 y.o. she has started to get pain in her knees at night. She plays slecet ball and little league ball. She has played softball for 7 years and 3 of them have been year around ball. She plays thrid base and pitcher. She also plays middle school volleyball. We took her to the doctor and he claims it is just growth spourt. Now I do believe he is right but I need help in ways to make her comfortable from parents/coaches/fans that have dealt with this before.

At the moment I'm thinking of using KT Tape to wrap her knees during games. Any other suggestions to help her get throw with this and still be good to be playing the games?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 25, 2009
Did the doctor recommend any pain meds, like ibuprofen, etc.? You might also want to try Aspercreme. It is very effective and it doesn't have that icy hot feeling; just pain relief.

Also, make sure her footwear is not contributing. Metal cleats can sometimes be uncomfortable when worn too much.

Make sure she is getting enough rest. Remember RICE? Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

Don't forget stretching before AND after workouts. Massages can be very effective. Last, but certainly not least, swimming pools can be very therapeutic!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Does she have osgood slaughter? It's caused by growth. My dd would get it so bad after basketball that I had to carry her to her room. You will see bony bumps under her knees. If she does, we have found a great cure that helped my dd in about a week, and it hasn't come back.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Also, make sure her footwear is not contributing. Metal cleats can sometimes be uncomfortable when worn too much.
Good point, and I'll add that you should make sure her shoes have proper arch support. If not you can get inserts. They even make inserts designed to support growth spurt pain, but you may have to get them from a doctor.

Does she play third or pitch more often? Not much you can do about fielding position, but if she pitches a lot can you share some photos or video? We can see if there is a mechanical problem that may be putting strain on her knees, or at least rule it out.

May 6, 2012
Texas
Im not yet fully sure what the doctor said because I have not yet been able to talk to my sister to get the full info. Metal cleats are not the problem because we are still in 12U ball. She play third the majority of the time. She pitches about 2 games a tournament every other weekend, in LL she was pitching 2 innings a game with 2 games a week, we have a 30 minute pitching lesson once a week, then our other practice is when we just go out side to pitch the ball around on random days for 30 to 45 minutes.

I will attach some pics of her pitching.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, yes, the pain could be coming from pitching. First set of photos - her left foot is pointing straight, instead of being angled at 45 degrees. Then, in the second set of photos look at the back foot in the 3rd photo. She needs to be on her big toe.

KT tape is not going to hurt, but she of course needs to find the cause. Oh, and it never hurts to eat more bananas. (I can remember having leg pain, as a teen.) Is she wearing flip flops or heels, a lot.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Not the typical build I have seen with osgood or growth spurt that causes knee pain from that (typically really thin). This player looks nice and strong, which is good.

While I agree with Amy that nutrients can be a cause and taking care of that is VERY effective, I would be careful not to do things like tape without conferring w/professional for the cause. Depending on how used it can effect whether surrounding muscles get weak from being helped or constrained so to speak. Muscles could be imbalanced to begin with. For example, gymnasts can get imbalanced quad/hamstring muscles causing pain for them.

This is why I wish a doctor or trainer was with every youth organization (I know, cost, time, etc.).

I'm no expert, but my dd's osgood started at 10, and she is same build as this girl, she's 12 now, 5'6 about 125lbs. Other girl I know with it is heavier than her. Anyway, you would see and feel the sore bumps under her knees.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah