Help with a rule please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
This happened in our 8u game last night. Line drive to SS, she fields it and guns it to first. FB has to jump to get it and comes down with the ball in her glove on the base with the runner about two steps in front of the base. Starts to bring her glove down and she drops the ball. The runner had already run through past first base. Blue rules her safe because of the dropped ball.

As I stood there I realized that I thought the call was wrong, but I actually had no idea what the rule should be on this. If she maintains possesion of the ball untill the runner passes the base, it would seem like that would be the end of it.

Is there a rule I'm missing, or is this one of those judgement calls that can go either way?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is a judgement call and sometimes the judgement, is lacking.

I played 1st base for decades. Generally, I had to maintain control of the ball for a couple of seconds. Have the little girl get both hands on the ball, as soon as possible.

It sounds like a good play for girls that young.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
It was a very good heads up play. The SS was my oldest DD who has been catching for 3 years now and has a gun for an arm, she just has a hard time controlling it sometimes. The girl playing FB put 100% into making that catch and making sure she landed on the base. Her only mistake was starting to turn to see the runner while bringing her glove down before she got both hands on it.

I just really try to make it a point to know the rules, and it was an odd position for me to be standing there really unsure of the correct call.:) If its judgement then" them be the breaks" and I'm ok with that.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Speaking ASA

At some point, the defender must demonstrate control and/or voluntary release. I would like to think the umpire believes F3 never did either and ruled accordingly.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
Speaking ASA

At some point, the defender must demonstrate control and/or voluntary release. I would like to think the umpire believes F3 never did either and ruled accordingly.

We fall under the ASA 10u JO rules.

So how does an ump determine control? She controlled the ball in her glove for two seconds, and that two seconds was when the play was made. Ball was in fielders glove standing on the base before the runner got there, and still in her glove after the runner had passed the base. Is there any guidelines when looking for control, or is just one of those "I know it when I see it" things?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
We fall under the ASA 10u JO rules.

So how does an ump determine control? She controlled the ball in her glove for two seconds, and that two seconds was when the play was made. Ball was in fielders glove standing on the base before the runner got there, and still in her glove after the runner had passed the base. Is there any guidelines when looking for control, or is just one of those "I know it when I see it" things?

Contal mean you control the ball. Can't make it simpler than that and yes, it is a judgment call. Simply being in the glove means nothing. Some umpires place a lot on the voluntray release part. I.E., had an OF attempt to catch a pop-up coming in. Got into her glove, but I never saw control. Apparently, she trapped the ball to her body with the glove, took two steps and all of a sudden the ball is on the ground in the OF. I rule no catch. That is when the coach comes out and tells me "how long" she had the ball which is completely irrelevant to the ruling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish