Help with 11 yo pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2019
I know this is hard without a video, but what is the usual cause of a right hand pitcher throwing to the right of herself alot. Anytime a rh batter comes up she is almost hitting them all the time

May 27, 2013
Has she been pitching fine for a while and this is a new thing? If so, could be that her hips are starting to fill out a little. Happened to my dd around age 12.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have a pitcher who lets the ball go the right when she keeps her hand open through release. I can see the difference in the spin, normally she throws topspin, when the ball goes to the right it always has bullet spin. She doesn't square up her hand at release.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I know this is hard without a video, but what is the usual cause of a right hand pitcher throwing to the right of herself alot. Anytime a rh batter comes up she is almost hitting them all the time

Have you seen a difference in her stride length? Try to get another 6 inches or so of stride.

May 20, 2016
Could be may things. Arm circle trailing behind the body in back swing, take off, angle.

Dec 6, 2016
Here's my opinion without seeing video...my daughter has been doing the same thing since she was in 12u and she is now in 18u and still does it. She corrects it now on her own.

When her hips open up to the catcher at the time she plants her left foot, she will throw inside every time. If she stays closed, this will go away. A better way to look at it is the catcher should not be able to see her logo on the front of her jersey. She should stay "side-ways" when she plants her left foot and "hide" her logo.

I hope this works for you...it did for us!

StormChase

3 Daughter's, 3 Athletes
Jan 21, 2019
Vancouver, BC, Canada
High pitch - release point was too late
Low pitch - release point to early
Inside pitch (RHB) hips rotated too early
Outside pitch (RHB) glove hand/shoulder not in line with catcher (where ever the glove hand goes, the ball goes)

From there it's easy to fix any pitch
High and outside - release the ball sooner and keep your glove hand in line with catcher

Low and inside - release the ball slightly later and keep hips open.

Etc etc

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00