Help!! New team!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
hi, we are part of a new travel team and are going to our first tournament locally (usfa) next weekend. so what administrative stuff do we need to do before going? I know that we pay when we get there, but is there anything else we need or do besides showing up and playing ball. also when registering for asa are you required to submit roster right away? thanks.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I honestly cannot tell you about the USFA. However, most organizational tournaments require that the team has an insurance policy to protect the girls. You can usually get this through an organization such as the ASA. If you get their boiler plate insurance, it is very reasonable. I believe we paid $13 per player last year to register them on our ASA roster and insure them. The insurance covered them no matter which organizational tournament they played. Some other organizational insurance policies, such as the NSA, only covers the girls in NSA events so be careful and do your homework. Also, some organizations such as the ASA requires you to take their coaching certification course before you play in their events. I believe at least one coach in the dugout has to be ACE certified and every other coach has to have a background check done. For PGF, all coaches need a background check so read up on the USFA requirements for coaching. You can usually find these through a link on the organizational website homepage.

As far as the ASA roster goes, you will have to submit a roster if you want the insurance. You can add girls to your roster if need be (I believe) for the same fee. If some leave, you will need to download a release form from their website, fill it out and send it in.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2013
I honestly cannot tell you about the USFA. However, most organizational tournaments require that the team has an insurance policy to protect the girls. You can usually get this through an organization such as the ASA. If you get their boiler plate insurance, it is very reasonable. I believe we paid $13 per player last year to register them on our ASA roster and insure them. The insurance covered them no matter which organizational tournament they played. Some other organizational insurance policies, such as the NSA, only covers the girls in NSA events so be careful and do your homework. Also, some organizations such as the ASA requires you to take their coaching certification course before you play in their events. I believe at least one coach in the dugout has to be ACE certified and every other coach has to have a background check done. For PGF, all coaches need a background check so read up on the USFA requirements for coaching. You can usually find these through a link on the organizational website homepage.

As far as the ASA roster goes, you will have to submit a roster if you want the insurance. You can add girls to your roster if need be (I believe) for the same fee. If some leave, you will need to download a release form from their website, fill it out and send it in.

do you need to bring proof of insurance to tournament?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Yes, if only for the reason that a player may be injured and have to take a ride to the hospital. Some tournament directors want to see it and others don't. You won't know until you get there. Also, if you haven't done it yet, I would highly recommend you find a liability release form, make copies for each player's family and have them fill it out and both legal guardians sign it if nothing more than to CYOA.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Insurance.. lots of options but the USSSA one is nice because it is cheap (and with 6 months or 12 month options), works for all orgs and there is no roster limits so you are not paying per player.

Get a folder to put all your forms in.

Bring a copy of the insurance

Get a copy of everyone's birth certificates - especially any girls who look older than they are (no one ever complains about my DD but her friend is 11 and looks 15 - we get her birth certificate out every time we play somewhere new).

Get a medical release and info for each player - including player's parents insurance details. You may never need them - but the time you do you will be glad to have them on hand.

Lineup cards - make sure you have plenty.

Scorebook - make sure you have at least one. And lots of sharpened pencils (ten seems to be the magic number)

Big First aid kit - LOTS of tough-strip and flex-stripo bandaids. Ibuprofen, asprin, pepto, bug spray, benedryl, feminine products, etc, etc...My original one started in 8U where I could fix a boo-boo... my one now could serve as an emergency supply room for a Walgreens and allow me to perform field surgery.

Athletic tape, bat tape for the handle, glove lacing kit and at least 2 helmet chin straps (for the odd occasion when they enforce needing chin straps)

Cooler with LOTS of ice. Zip lock bags to make ice packs. Lots of water.

Directions to: local food places, nearest grocery, local hospital, local bank.

Rule book, local tournament rules if available (timing etc) and a printed schedule

Normally there is also a tournament roster form to fill out and sign - beyond the ones online. Normally you can download this from the orgs website but sometimes it is a game day thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish