Help me with this swing!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
It's hard to tell for certain, but the tee looks to be too far away from your hitter.
If that is the case, she has over rotated for that ball position (outside pitch).
That would also cause the ball to take the path it did, down to the ground.
The outside pitch would require her to stop rotation sooner.
The other alternative would be to place the tee farther back (towards the catcher) but keep
the tee on the outside like it is currently.
Ball position is the name of the game when doing tee work.

I highly suggest you get Bustos' 3 DVD instructional set. Trust me, it will be the best
money you will spend on hitting instruction, excluding quality live hitting lessons.
I've gone through it all, and this has worked for my kid (who plays softball in college
)

Can you please post your DD's swing....I'm on the fence with the Bustos' 3 DVD instructional set. It would be helpful, since you have been all through it. Also can you post the drills that helped. Posting video of the drill swings would be real helpful. Thanks in advsnce.

Last edited:
May 20, 2015
Can you please post your DD's swing....I'm on the fence with the Bustos' 3 DVD instructional set. It would be helpful, since you have been all through it. Also can you post the drills that helped. Posting video of the drill swings would be real helpful. Thanks in advsnce.

I have. A lot. Swings of her/him from the age of 13yo thru 20yo.

I'm in undercover. I'm incognito. I wish to remain that way.
I will neither deny nor confirm my I.D.

Plus, I'm invoking the FFS clause of not posting (at least now-a-days) my student(s).

You'll have to trust me, or not.

As far as current drills I advocate, tee swings as detailed in the Bustos vids., side toss, front toss and my special machine pitch set-up.
Those are the drills he/she works on when he/she is with me. Remember, he/she is almost 21yo and has a life of her/his own.
Oh, she/he also hits into a heavy bag, similar to what Mann demonstrated in his video. We've been doing that since 2008.
I've said to much. Get the vids and beg and plead for the "Big Guy" to post here again.

Over and out

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I don't mind posting one of my 'students':
post-20036-0-22309200-1433440494.jpg

Young guy from NJ.:rolleyes:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Let's get this thread back on track.....
I really like this swing 'base'...
tumblr_nphte0SlRX1usf292o1_400.gif

Let see if 'we' can maybe improve this swing a little more.....
Dad, can you have your DD make these little adjustments.
Straighten the rear foot. Look at the black line and then look at your DD's rear foot pointed back. Have it straight on that line. That will tighten up her coil on her rear leg/hip.
Second get a plate/ duct tape a plate down on the floor. Set the tee on the plate maybe 2'' or 3'' in front of plate, for a up the middle hit. Have your DD hit line drives into the net and post that video.
Lets see how that looks. Then we can make minor adjustments with the hand set/pull back.
Nice improvement from the 'swing down on the ball' of your past post. This shows dad has put the time in to read and wants to make improvements.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It's hard to tell for certain, but the tee looks to be too far away from your hitter.
If that is the case, she has over rotated for that ball position (outside pitch).
That would also cause the ball to take the path it did, down to the ground.
The outside pitch would require her to stop rotation sooner.
The other alternative would be to place the tee farther back (towards the catcher) but keep
the tee on the outside like it is currently.
Ball position is the name of the game when doing tee work.

I highly suggest you get Bustos' 3 DVD instructional set. Trust me, it will be the best
money you will spend on hitting instruction, excluding quality live hitting lessons.
I've gone through it all, and this has worked for my kid (who plays softball in college)

Since you are issuing a "highly suggest" recommendation and have "gone through it all", can you help explain the drill below and clear up RDB's confusion?

sndu35.gif

Now I'm confused.....:rolleyes:

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Let's get this thread back on track.....
I really like this swing 'base'...
tumblr_nphte0SlRX1usf292o1_400.gif

Let see if 'we' can maybe improve this swing a little more.....
Dad, can you have your DD make these little adjustments.
Straighten the rear foot. Look at the black line and then look at your DD's rear foot pointed back. Have it straight on that line. That will tighten up her coil on her rear leg/hip.
Second get a plate/ duct tape a plate down on the floor. Set the tee on the plate maybe 2'' or 3'' in front of plate, for a up the middle hit. Have your DD hit line drives into the net and post that video.
Lets see how that looks. Then we can make minor adjustments with the hand set/pull back.
Nice improvement from the 'swing down on the ball' of your past post. This shows dad has put the time in to read and wants to make improvements.

The kid is doing a lot right.

Just curious .... what exactly are you looking to correct or adjust in the swing with the recommendation of the rear foot angle? Do you see the rear foot angle resulting in something in the swing that you don't like? What is it?

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The kid is doing a lot right.

Just curious .... what exactly are you looking to correct or adjust in the swing with the recommendation of the rear foot angle? Do you see the rear foot angle resulting in something in the swing that you don't like? What is it?

It's not a big deal but, to me I think it would give this hitter a tighter coil and more stable rear foot/leg. I'm noticing a little heel slip back which gives up and rear hip/scip that this hitter could have had. As it is now it seems to be more of a pre-set coil. The front leg 'step in' would tighten that rear hip. I then would move up to the hand set. I see the hand a little to high and I would like to see a little more 'poke back'. I just would like to see these 2 adjustments first. Maybe the rear foot pointed back is a pet peeve for me. :eek:

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It's not a big deal but, to me I think it would give this hitter a tighter coil. As it is now it seems to be more of a pre-set coil. The front leg 'step in' would tighten that rear hip. I then would move up to the hand set. I see the hand a little to high and I would like to see a little more 'poke back'. I just would like to see these 2 adjustments first. Maybe the rear foot pointed back is a pet peeve for me. :eek:

For some hitters the back foot angled back slightly helps them out. You are right ... it will influence the tightness in the coil. I hear you about the high hands and somewhat limited live and independent action.

Appreciate the response.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1