Help from my fellow umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
Well, back from my games (3 behind the pitcher), and I have to say.......It wasn't too bad at all. The strike zone was easy to see, although it was a bit tough to see if the inside or outside pitch caught the corner (no one complained about those close calls). I stood behind the pitcher's left side, and out of three games, I only had to move twice to avoid hit balls. I wouldn't have a problem doing it again (nice not to wear plate gear all day). I did a 4th game, championship game with 2 umpires. Other guy was behind the pitcher, I stood to the side of plate basically calling fair or foul balls, and plays at plate. Field was a nice complex, all turf, all lined properly.

May 29, 2015
You said it, what a crock, I didn't know until it was assigned. Our org. is short on umpires, so I don't want to stick it to the assigner, I'll let you know how it goes.

And as far as pay, it's kind of ridiculous, $55 if you have a partner, $60 if you go solo. And two of the teams are ones that my DD played for, both coaches still there, one nice, one not so nice.

No. The org being short is no reason to short the existing umpires. The org should NOT be allowing one-ump to do a game for normal pay.

One-ump was already becoming too prevalent before COVID. I have a fear this “social experiment” will become an accepted norm of only using one umpire in youth games and sticking him/her behind the pitcher.

Aug 25, 2019
i was told thats the setup when a umpire is in the field, plus when was the last time you saw a player foul a ball off directly behind her. It was the safest position, and I really had nothing to do all game.

May 6, 2015
i was told thats the setup when a umpire is in the field, plus when was the last time you saw a player foul a ball off directly behind her. It was the safest position, and I really had nothing to do all game.
this umpire really needs to keep good eye on runners leaving early. DD's team had game this weekend, one BR form other team was out to her full lead before release every single time.

Aug 25, 2019
this umpire really needs to keep good eye on runners leaving early. DD's team had game this weekend, one BR form other team was out to her full lead before release every single time.
Yes sir, I did watch that and I watched runners touch the bases, although can't watch look back when doing game by myself behind pitcher

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

LOL so the one umpire we had who worked from behind the pitcher was a big guy, maybe 6'5" or so. Our runners kept complaining about how being able to see exactly when the ball was released.

I had to remind them that the umpire also couldn't see them or when they left the base, so as long as they weren't super early, it was fine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma