Hello

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 27, 2014
Hey guys, just wanted to take a second to introduce myself. My name is Anthony and daughters name is Riley. We live and play in Louisville,KY. I have been reading this forum for about a month now and thought I would like to get involved in on some of the action around here.

My daughter is 7 and played for the first time last spring at our local REC league (8u) . Although REC ball, it's still fairly good comp. The league has won and finished runner up at regionals the last two years (All Stars). At the time she was actually tee ball age, though me and my wife decided to let her play 8u machine pitch due to her size. I was nervous at first due to she had never picked up a bat. It end up being a great move. She end up having a very successful year and actually led the team in RBI's and batting average according to the coach.

Since then we tried out for a local travel team this fall (8u). She end up making the team as one of only two 7 year olds on the team. Was a very proud moment because once again I didn't know if she was ready. We have played in two tournaments, winning one and finishing second in the other. She is starting 3 base and batting 5th. Really has been hitting the cover off the ball. She even threw a girl out at first which I thought was awesome for a 7 year old from 3rd base.

Anyhow I am hocked to say the least. I am trying to soak up as much info about softball as I can. As a former athlete myself I know a lot about baseball. I always had excellent coaches. Though I am finding out that baseball and softball are a lot alike while being different at the same time. I hope in time I can become a asset to this forum. I look forward in getting to know you guys in the coming year.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
First...Welcome...and Happy New Year...

Second...you need to keep your mind open...there is plenty here that will turn your current paradigms on hitting and fielding upside down and inside out. This falls under the guise of "The Hanson Principal" which basically means if you can't verify what is being taught to your DD via high speed video - you need to question it.

Third...I applaud you as a dad for taking the time to learn for the betterment of your daughter...

enjoy the ride...CP

Apr 25, 2010
A word of advice... Don't be "that parent". The one who lives and dies by his kids performance. The one who screams at umpires, thinks his kid is the best on the team, who knows better than the coaches, or who is just really obnoxious.

Sit back and enjoy watching her. It's her game. Her level of play is her responsibility. You can't want it more than she does. After a poor performance or a loss, let her bring it up. Never jump on her or teach her to make excuses.

Above all, enjoy all the extra time you will get to spend with her. The time passes entirely too fast. I wish someone would have shared these things with me, as I made every one of these mistakes. Cherish the journey and good luck!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Welcome to DFP! My DD did not start playing TB until 10U, but my advice is that travel softball is a marathon, not a sprint. Playing time and having fun is more important than the name on the front of your jersey at the early age groups. Don't be such in a hurry to "play up" or make a marquee organization A-level team that it takes the fun out of the game.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Welcome! The road will be bumpy and the ride rather wild. If you can just remember it's her game and you're there to support her, you'll find the experience much more enjoyable. As others have said, the time goes by quickly...too quickly. It seems like just yesterday I was coaching my 5 yo DD and today she's emailing college coaches.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors