Height?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
There's less then 50 "top D1 schools" in the US. Let's go out on a limb and assume they each recruit 2 pitchers per year. Let's pretend that half don't come from California and pretend that each state gets to send 2 pitchers to those schools. If the pitchers aren't the best or second best in their state by the time they're 15, they're most likely not going to play for a "top D1 school".

The good news is that there are 1900 colleges with softball programs in the US, so that leaves plenty of other education opportunities.

Never base a kids success factor on something as limited or as silly as whatever the "top colleges" do, be it having height restrictions or otherwise.

-W

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
There's less then 50 "top D1 schools" in the US. Let's go out on a limb and assume they each recruit 2 pitchers per year. Let's pretend that half don't come from California and pretend that each state gets to send 2 pitchers to those schools. If the pitchers aren't the best or second best in their state by the time they're 15, they're most likely not going to play for a "top D1 school".

The good news is that there are 1900 colleges with softball programs in the US, so that leaves plenty of other education opportunities.

Never base a kids success factor on something as limited or as silly as whatever the "top colleges" do, be it having height restrictions or otherwise.

-W

And lets not forget that attending a top D1 program limits your majors. No lab classes and nothing to interfere with the softball program. If education is your end game do your homework, a top D1 program probably shouldn't be the goal.

College Softball's Dirty Little Secret

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Thanks Rick, that is encouraging! We haven't given up on speed, but our focus is movement and she seems to do that well (at least to this point) with a late break that moves nicley. If the speed comes it certainly will be welcomed, but we aren't putting all our eggs in that basket.

My question was based on a recent lunch with a friend who has become well connected in the recruiting process and what he had to say. He is personally a big believer in height and speed which works for him. He had two legitimate 60mph pitchers on his '00 team that did extremely well this spring and summer.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
A coach would have to be a fool to walk away from a kid because they are a 5'4" pitcher, even though they may throw the heck out of the ball. It just so happens that size and strength play a big role in pitching speed but is not the only factor. But some college coaches don't have the self confidence to buck the system and go for a girl that doesn't fit the mold.

Very true. We know that Coach Joe (A&M) isn't scared of taking a 5'4" pitcher.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A 5'4" girl who throws 55 MPH isn't going to play D1 softball no matter how much "grit and determination" she has. That is just reality.

The primary consideration for a child is to get the best education available. That is how they are going to support themselves after college.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My DD is pretty tall for her age. Just turned 11 at the end of July and is 5'5".

Let's say in 5 years she's 6 ft tall but hasn't increased her speed much. Let's assume she is average. Does the fact she's tall give her an advantage over other girls? Also, she's a lefty. Does that give her an advantage over RHP's in the recruiting world, all other things being equal? IOW, do coaches actively seek tall girls and lefties, or is that more myth than reality?

It will give her an extra look over someone who is not tall and left handed, but she still has to have the talent/ability/skills/work ethic/grades/etc. Looking the part is absolutely an advantage. It is much more work for a player who you need to watch over time to appreciate to be recruited.

For those who have run into coaches who have an absolute 'height requirement' for recruiting a position - that is a program that is taking short cuts in recruiting which is something you absolutely should consider when your DD is in the recruiting process - i.e. where else does this program take short cuts.

College Softball rosters are littered with shorter players - even in the big programs.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
A 5'4" girl who throws 55 MPH isn't going to play D1 softball no matter how much "grit and determination" she has. That is just reality.

See this is only partially true. Let's qualify this - a girl who is 5'4" and throws 55mph isn't going to play for a traditional powerhouse D1 school however once you look past the power conferences and teams there are absolutely pitchers in D1 who don't throw much harder than this. There are some pretty bad teams at the bottom of D1 (and D2 and D3 and juco for that matter).

Also wasn't the second pitcher from Penn in the NCAA tournament last year 5'4" or so and I don't remember her throwing anywhere near 60mph. Just looked it up - I believe it was Lauren Li - listed at 5'5" (so probably closer to 5'3"). She might not be playing softball for Alabama but she is absolutely playing D1 softball as a pitcher who isn't throwing 60mph+ and being pretty successful - and going to Penn for school is nothing to sneeze at.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
DD at 5'4 is not only the shortest pitcher on her college team, but the shortest player period. I call her the "runt" of the litter. :) But she's a lefty. I've got a link somewhere.......that shows even MLB scouts give a LHP a "handicap" on the recruiting points.......I'll try to find it.

Marriard is correct^^^^^^^^. Simply saying so n so is playing D1 or ___, 99% of the time ends with that statement. Once you dig a little deeper into out of pocket expenses, major, will they need further unpaid education after 4 years, "actual" playing time, I always start to question the motive.

Parents don't get caught up that your DD's worth is based on her college level of play. Unless you're the .000001%, you're not going to make a dime off where she played. ( endorsements ) The level of education, the "cost" of that education is what's important.

When I go thru the McDonald's drive-thru, order $11.99 worth of food, pull up to the window and tell the worker I played D1 baseball in the 90's, guess what happens? I still pay $11.99. But thanks to the education part, I can spend the $11.99 without blinking an eye.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smallsize1516