Height?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
You cannot "coach" height, so taller pitchers have an advantage, just like left handed pitchers have an advantage over right handed pitchers. I am sure most D1 coaches have a minimum height requirement they would like to stick to, but there are always exceptions to the rules.

Oct 22, 2009
Marriard is correct^^^^^^^^. Simply saying so n so is playing D1 or ___, 99% of the time ends with that statement. Once you dig a little deeper into out of pocket expenses, major, will they need further unpaid education after 4 years, "actual" playing time, I always start to question the motive.

Parents don't get caught up that your DD's worth is based on her college level of play. Unless you're the .000001%, you're not going to make a dime off where she played. ( endorsements ) The level of education, the "cost" of that education is what's important.

I can't tell you how many of my DD's teammates over the years had parents that insisted their DD attend a D1 school so they could brag about their scholarships. The only ones that actually stayed in the school and graduated were those extremely talented girls that played in the higher DI schools.
All the others that went to mediocre D1 schools, weren't there for their education, they were there to make their parents happy. Sitting the bench with 20% scholarships, hating the school, and the parents stopped bragging and the kids quit.

Don't set your kid up for failure, make sure the school they end up going to is a great fit.
Look up things like drop out rate, party schools (party schools are extremely hard for athletes, as most sports have 0 tolerances for drinking, and girls are given less slide than boys). Does the school have good success in the major your DD wants? School size, class sizes. How far away is it? Will you be able to see her play? Does she care if you can't see her play that much?
Again, don't set her up for failure, set her up for success.

May 17, 2012
You cannot "coach" height, so taller pitchers have an advantage

There is no correlation between height and pitching speed. Perhaps they have another advantage you are alluding too?

Longer levers require more energy to move...

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
There is no correlation between height and pitching speed. Perhaps they have another advantage you are alluding too?

Longer levers require more energy to move...

I think if you did a study, there would be a definite correlation between height and speed. Not saying there are not women under 5'10" that throw serious heat, but I think there is a reason why top D1 average pitching height is so tall. This is just statistically speaking, not saying there are not the 2 sigma or 3 sigma girls that throw fast at a lower height.

Nov 1, 2013
Ohio
We have always been stuck on this topic in out family. I have a 5"3 1/2 in pitcher. Her PC has wanted to stretch her for a long time. Instead he has said "I can't make her taller so her fundamentals are going to be perfect" She works hard and managed to increase her speed recently over the summer. We give this credit to trainer, her thighs are powerful and we didn't have time to see PC all summer due to traveling in 3 states at camps, 2 travel teams(one showcase only) and college visits. She decided to go for D2. She didn't want to fight the height thing, thought D1s to big for the country girl and realized going to a rural HS doesn't prepare one as well for college as say a private school. A lesson learned well by a older brother who went to a D3 for football. She didn't want to take the chance of being a bull pen pitcher. She was clocked at 60 at tryouts for TB, went to 3 college tryouts and did well striking out current players. Several D3s all over her. Also looked at location, drew a 3hr distance circle around our house. Major important, and if she got along well with coaches and players. After 3 years of active recruiting, she took a offer from a D2 out of state. She loves coach, excited about playing in the league, playing in a program that is in it's infancy and loves the campus and the icing on the cake is she actually knows 2 other players that signed that she met from another state. I believe everyone has their own path through this process. Advice: go visit, watch college games, look at stats(height included), don't say no to anyone until Senior year. Keep her working and don't forget strength training with a qualified (proven success with athletes) trainer. Does height matter, in the end it didn't. Although no big sb D1 schools with many bites, Who knows really why but the coaches themselves.

May 17, 2012
I think if you did a study, there would be a definite correlation between height and speed. Not saying there are not women under 5'10" that throw serious heat, but I think there is a reason why top D1 average pitching height is so tall. This is just statistically speaking, not saying there are not the 2 sigma or 3 sigma girls that throw fast at a lower height.

Here is one article, it's not a study though. There are many studies, just google it.

Do Taller Pitchers Throw Harder Than Average? | Bleacher Report

BMI may be a better indicator of velocity. Core strength is another velocity myth as well.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Obviously, a shorter pitcher can play in college. The question is about matching the child's non-softball ambitions and the child's softball talent with a school.

Kieilani Ricketts 6'2"
Cat osterman 6'3"
jenny finch 6'0"
Sarah Pauly 6'3"
Chelsea Thomas 5'10"
Dallas Escobedo 6'0"
Monica Abbott 6'3"
Ellen Renfroe 6'
Sara Driesenga 6'1"
Kaitlin Inglesby 6'1"
Hannah Rogers 5'10"

Here is one article, it's not a study though. There are many studies, just google it.

The study does not show what you think it shows.

Among people at the top of any sport or endeavor, there is rarely any factor that correlates with their relative performance. When you compare the performance of people at the top of a sport versus "the rest of us", then there are correlations.

The studies address whether, among MLB pitchers, height correlates to pitching speed. In the study you cite, the shortest pitcher was 6'4", who is six inches taller than the average US male.

The studies do *NOT* address whether, among amateur pitchers, height correlates to performance.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location

Do Taller Pitchers Throw Harder Than Average? | Bleacher Report

BMI may be a better indicator of velocity. Core strength is another velocity myth as well.

Gunner....Although bleacher report blogs are fun, I would not trust them for this type of analysis. As one glaring hole I will point out one thing. The list he gives goes from 6'4 to 6'11". With the peak velocity at 6'6". His range is TALL PITCHERS!!! if he extended the study down to 5'8" I think the height relationship would be clear (assuming his methodology is sound). If there was no correlation between height and speed then there would be more Tim Lincecums in the league and he would not be such an anomaly.

May 17, 2012
Gunner....Although bleacher report blogs are fun, I would not trust them for this type of analysis.

Really? I thought they were a peer reviewed scientific journal. Thanks for clearing this up. I actually used Bleacher Report in my PhD dissertation.

Thanks for straightening me out. I learned my lesson.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red