Heel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
How many of you guys prefer stride to toe touch with the heel drop as a trigger. Im asking to know if that would be a good timing mechanism to keep from launching to early before the stride foot gets down.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
How many of you guys prefer stride to toe touch with the heel drop as a trigger. Im asking to know if that would be a good timing mechanism to keep from launching to early before the stride foot gets down.

Good question. I would let the timing of the ball be the mechanism. If in sequence... there won’t be a physical mechanism. You could start launch from mid air or toe touch or foot down or heel plant. There are a lot of determining factors...

I teach to be on time for the fastest pitch and adjust if needed. Hopefully I answered your question.

Oct 2, 2017
Good question. I would let the timing of the ball be the mechanism. If in sequence... there won’t be a physical mechanism. You could start launch from mid air or toe touch or foot down or heel plant. There are a lot of determining factors...

I teach to be on time for the fastest pitch and adjust if needed. Hopefully I answered your question.

Yes get what your saying. My DD has a habit of prematurely launching to early. So a goal this fall and winter is to work on that.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Imo launch is when the belly button centers. Middle-out launch. Sometimes the hands will go with the belly button, sometimes the hands will go after the belly button. Location, timing, pitch dependent. It’s about core-torque and creating that on time at the same time every time. AKA FYB. It’s a tough description for me. Still working on it.;)

This is sequence oriented. The better the sequence, the better the timing.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

A clip like this is a bit confusing. Launch would mean point of no return .Right? But I think the point of no return is when the hands slide forward and the weight has shifted into the front leg. Can’t regather that energy, but we can still keep the hands back and sink into the legs and adjust for an offspeed even though the bb has centered or fully torqued.
Even though ‘launch’ is middle out. The ‘swing’ being launched is the hands committing to a certain path by moving towards that intended route and the weight shifting into the front leg.

Lorenz hands have come forward in space, not forward past her body.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017

Imo launch is when the belly button centers. Middle-out launch. Sometimes the hands will go with the belly button, sometimes the hands will go after the belly button. Location, timing, pitch dependent. It’s about core-torque and creating that on time at the same time every time. AKA FYB. It’s a tough description for me. Still working on it.;)

This is sequence oriented. The better the sequence, the better the timing.

When you refer to a middle out or when the bb gets centered. You are referring to a 50/50 stride correct?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
When you refer to a middle out or when the bb gets centered. You are referring to a 50/50 stride correct?

Yes. FYB. Hitting position. 50/50. So many ways to describe It.

Edit: In reality 50/50 might not be correct. But pretty close. I feel like the weight of the body is centered and can sink or finish its shift.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Does any hitter get more fyb leverage ?

sDfHu6D.gif

Apr 17, 2019
Pardon me as I hijack your thread, Clem...

First, what is FYB? I've picked up on most of the acronyms around here, but not this one.... urban dictionary has a different definition than you, I assume. lol.

Second, some hitters

have a distinct toe touch, then heel plant. But then others

plant flat. And most somewhere in between.
Do you see this as having to do with differing ideas about the weight shift? or trying to speed up their swing? something else? Just style? I've always been a distinct toe touch, then heel plant gal - I have trouble relating to a flat foot stride (aside from it making my knees hurt just watching), seems like you're losing some rotational momentum. But I'm thinking weight more 70/30 at toe touch also....
Just something I've wondered about.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
FYB- Forward yet back.. Hitters who gain forward ground witch leverages the front side of the body including the lead leg while at the same time not compromising the rear leg/hip relationship..

Said another way its a dynamic hitting position... Leverage needs to occur before the whip happens in the swing. IOW's hitters need to beat the pitcher to a position of leverage. If one doesn't the hitters will need to push the hands as away of adjusting.

KIInqE1.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom