Heart Guard

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Hi all...

My older DD took a "right-back-at-you" line drive to the stomach last night that knocked her to the ground. Wind knocked out and with expected tears she walked off on her own. She did attempt to get the glove on it but to no avail.

Got me thinking about a heart guard so I thought I'd come to you folks for any feedback or experience with them.

Thanks in advance.

Good sportsmanship tidbit. My DD came back in the game after an inning of rest (to many claps) and pitched the last two innings. Here's to very cool part...Last spring the catcher on the other team hit a line drive against DD that she reached out for with her bare pitching hand, and low and behold the ball won; forcing DD to leave the game for a hospital visit. Well after last nights game that catcher must have remembered because she put her arms around DD during the handshakes. I thought that was awesome.

Oct 9, 2013
TJ,

Glad your DD is fine. My dd had a similiar experience and I got the Evoshield chest guard because it covers a large area. There is a recent thread on it.

Good luck.

Oct 22, 2009
DD had the same thing happen in a college game taking one in the pitching hand. It was headed toward her rib cage and she was able to get her hand in the way, much to the upset of her coach. She had to go to the ER because her hand swelled so badly they thought it was broken. It just ended up badly bruised.

It's something to think about. I think if they are older they may not want one and may feel like their defense mechanics are good enough.

IR a Pitching Dad

Sitting on a Bucket
Dec 4, 2014
My DD uses a product by McDavid. It is a compression shirt with a sewn in honeycomb like pad. Doesn't bind or hinder any type of movement.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Just ordered an evoshield last week. Homerunmonkey.com was the cheapest price and they have/had a 20% off code EASY20.

Mar 31, 2014
We required the DD to wear the Evoshield last year and it was so unnoticeable and comfortable, she wears it even when she isnt pitching now (plays 3rd and catcher). She didnt get anyshots back at her while pitching but she did take several hot hops in the chest last year and didnt even flinch.

Im glad you brought this up, at 10 shes growing like a weed and we havent checked to see if last years still fits (they are form fitted).

May 22, 2014
Indiana
+1 for the Evoshield. Our experience was very similar to yours - DD took a shot to the stomach in her second start as a TB pitcher. Went right to the ground, gathered herself and threw the girl out before going back to the ground in tears. Made dad proud. On the ride home, she asked if we could buy "one of those Evoshield things" that her friends wore. She wears it every time she pitches now and loves it. Doesn't retrict her movement at all. We also like that the hard shell is removable for easy washing of the shirt part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1