Head coach first or third

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
I am the head coach of a 1st year 12u team and if our dugout is on the 1st base side, I prefer to coach first so I can manage the kids in the dugout, prepare them for on deck, strategy, make changes, etc. If our dugout is on 3rd base, same thing.

What is the thinking that an assistant or head coach coaching either base?

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
I am always at 3B. I have an assistant on 1B and we have a bench coach as well...well actually two this year. I need to be focused on what is going on on the field not worrying about getting the girls ready to hit.

Jan 20, 2010
I am the head coach of a 1st year 12u team and if our dugout is on the 1st base side, I prefer to coach first so I can manage the kids in the dugout, prepare them for on deck, strategy, make changes, etc. If our dugout is on 3rd base, same thing.

It is a different skill set so I would say make the decision on whichever base the coaches can best coach. You should also have a coach in the dugout to manage the team while up at bat (and you could also be that). The dugout you occupy shouldn't matter.

Mar 13, 2010

Shouldn't this all be done beforehand? And don't you have a team mum/manager who can organize the team for you?

Sep 14, 2011
I like 1st base early in the year. I can remind players about the things they are unsure of and since you have to get to first before you can get to third, I know I will be talking directly to more players than if I am at third base.

Feb 3, 2011
Until we have the game in hand, I'm at 3B. If we have all the runs we need, then an assistant can go out there. It's not that they aren't capable of coaching the position exactly as I would (if not better, in some cases), it's that I prefer having the liability for what might happen at the plate. Plus, the smiles from the players that reach 3B are often better than the coach gets at 1B. :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Why do you have a kid play 2B and not SS or another one pitch rather than catch? 1B and 3B coach have different roles and responsibilities too and FWIW, cheerleading is at the bottom of the priority list for both. Think about it from a skill set standpoint and then make the decision. If the PRIMARY rationale for deciding who coaches 3B is based on shouldering the burden and being accountable when things go wrong, IMO, it often is more indicative of someone who may be inclined to take undue credit when things go right rather than an act of true selflessness.

Two 3B coaching tips 1) get out of the box and down the line so you can have a runner round the bag at full speed before you decide to send or hold her and 2) Once you send a runner home, don't watch the play at the plate, pick up the trailing runner and coach her!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole