HBP Limit/ 10U Rec.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sometimes during the pre-game conference the umpire states that if a pitcher hits 3 batters in an inning that they have to stop pitching for that 1 inning but may pitch in future innings. It is not one of our local rules so I think they are getting all the various local rules mixed up. I like the rule so have never objected.

Today the umpire did not mention this in the pre-game conference.

1 of our batters was up 3 times and HBP all 3 of her at bats. 1 inning the opposing pitcher hit 5 or 6 of our batters. She would have hit more if not for some quick reactions by some batters. Nothing was done intentionally but it seemed like the pitcher was having target practice with our batters as her target.

Is this just one of those things and move on or should I try to make a local rule change for next year?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There is a local rule here, that after 2 hit batters, you are removed from the circle, but can return. It is probably a good rule for the little ones that are just learning to bat.

I don't know why a coach would leave a little girl in there that is hitting batter after batter, though. The problem with making rule changes is that then parents think that it is really a rule, even when their DD starts to play in another league.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't know why a coach would leave a little girl in there that is hitting batter after batter, though

I agree but it is out of my control. Poor batters need to go up and do their best; unfortunately they did not know whether to swing at the few strikes the P threw, jump towards the plate, jump backwards or duck. Maybe the best thing would have been to tell the batters not to swing and to be light on their feet to jump out of the way.

We won our 1st game and are 1-10, a few individual accomplishments will be a little overshadowed by this and I think there is at least 2 batters that will need extra attention to unwind.

Mar 15, 2010
My local rec league has 3 hit batter/inning rule for 8U and 10U. For 12U and 14U it is 2 hit batter/inning. There is a sub rule clarification that the batter must make an effort to get out of the way. This is useful for the younger divisions where the pitch is on rolling on the ground and the batter has plenty of time to get out of the way. In all my years with this league I have only seen the rule implemented a few times.

Jul 28, 2008
My kid had a mechanics issue, she wasn't opening up her hips far enough and hit 8 batters in two games two months ago. Now she's down to one per tournament. Today was no exception.

Feb 9, 2009
Our Rec league has a 2 per inning rule, and then you have to replace the pitcher for that inning. A pitcher can only be replaced 2 innings, and she's done pitching for the game...

On a sidenote, my DD (11 yo) is a frickin ball magnet!! She has two BLUE bruises on her left thigh from last weekends games, and I'm just waiting for the hit this weekend. She will go down screaming if it hits her thigh with those other bruises already there...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Stephanie, cover that thigh with a football pad. They are made for thighs. If you can't find one, today, I would use something, even a sponge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild