Has this method of bunting been tried?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
I'm thinking it has but I haven't seen it used. The batter would stand in her normal position relative to the plate, then as the pitcher starts her motion the batter shifts up and shows bunt. She would shift by quickly bringing her rear foot up to her front foot then step forward to show bunt so she's in front of the plate. the actual bunt would be done from a non-moving position.

I'm thinking this may work when you want to bunt to hit and the batter doesn't have any drag bunt experience. I've had my daughter try it when we're practicing, but she's never used it in a game.

Thoughts?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Interesting idea. I haven't seen it done before but I can where it would be valuable if the hitter can pull it off. Standing in the front of the box to bunt and somewhere else to hit is a dead giveaway. What you're describing could disguise it better.

May 13, 2008
We learned this method of bunting from a college coach a few years ago and have been using it ever since. We have adapted it for slapping as well. The defense cannot tell from where she sets up in the box (or her stance) if she is bunting, slapping, or swinging away.

Jan 13, 2009
We do this, except the bunt is laid down while in motion. We call it a bunt-for base-hit.

The motion is started at about the pitchers release point, giving the girls a "running" start towards first base. Hitting away and bunt-for-base-hit are thus started from the same point in the batters box.

Strikes only, pull back for a ball.

Kinda sounds like a drag bunt bunt though, doesn't it.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
We use this method of bunting all the time. I coach 16's now but they have been using it since they were 10. Picked it up from our highschool coach who is very good (division 1 state champs this year, runner up last 3). I like it because you get great plate coverage, see the ball really well with two eyes, and are as close a possible. We actually step across the body and the back foot goes all the way to the front corner of the box. A pitcher with some tude however may throw right at the batter and it's a little tough to bail from this position.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
Well, SBdad, if I were a lady that would be a very personal question! But I'm not so I'll tell - 47. Happy?

Most of my softball experience has been in LL and I've never seen it used in any LL games. I don't recall reading about it in any of the softball books I have either (I'll recheck them though). In the year of travel ball my daughter just finished (12U) I don't recall seeing it done either - regular bunting yes, some drag & slap too, but not shifting into a bunt position.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
***** FOLKS - PLEASE TRY and REMEMBER - these forums are to HELP coaches and provides an opportunity to ask questions (complicated or simple) to LEARN. I appreciate seeing the member's responses which are positive and helpful.

May 31, 2009
Well, SBdad, if I were a lady that would be a very personal question! But I'm not so I'll tell - 47. Happy?

Most of my softball experience has been in LL and I've never seen it used in any LL games. I don't recall reading about it in any of the softball books I have either (I'll recheck them though). In the year of travel ball my daughter just finished (12U) I don't recall seeing it done either - regular bunting yes, some drag & slap too, but not shifting into a bunt position.

Easy does it....just asked a simple question. Just curious as to how old you are.
Maybe I'm not getting the drift of what you're trying to explain.
Can you get us a video showing your daughter demonstrating this bunting method? Maybe it's something I could show my dd (17)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06