Happy Daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Good for you, SB23. Almost all only get to play ball like this once, and for a limited time. They should do it where they will enjoy it the most. If that's on a high-level college showcase team, great. If it's on a good team with the friends, that's great too.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I decided to let her play on the team where she is extremely happy, not necessarily the best team to promote her for a collegiate softball career but I plan on taking her to individual showcases and she will attend camps on her own so all hope is not lost for college softball.

How old is your DD? What level TB has she played in the past? What level is she playing now? Would she like to play in college? What level in college?

Dec 19, 2012
How old is your DD? What level TB has she played in the past? What level is she playing now? Would she like to play in college? What level in college?

These are the same questions I had while reading the OP.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
In 10 years whether she plays college ball or not you just want her to reflect on having a good time during her teen years.
She will not remember the plays or particular games but she will always cherish the memories from the friendships and
relationships she forged. My DD happened to find happiness playing on a very competitive showcase team.

Jun 11, 2013
Good for you SB. We went through a similar thing last fall.

I had to remember why we played TB in the first place and it was because she loved to play when she was 10. Now hat she is about to turn 14 she loves to play even more.

Feb 12, 2014

JAD

She is a lefty power hitting first basemen, she is 15 but only a freshman (December Birthday), she has been playing 16/18U this past 2015/2016, this fall the team must move to 18U, she definitely would like to play softball in college, as far as what level that will be up to her and who scouts her.

She will still attend Camp and participate in clinics, it will be up to her and I to get her name out there.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
JAD

She is a lefty power hitting first basemen, she is 15 but only a freshman (December Birthday), she has been playing 16/18U this past 2015/2016, this fall the team must move to 18U, she definitely would like to play softball in college, as far as what level that will be up to her and who scouts her.

She will still attend Camp and participate in clinics, it will be up to her and I to get her name out there.

Best of luck to your DD (and mom and dad :cool:). There is definitely a market out there for power hitting lefty F3s...

Jun 11, 2013
JAD

She is the same as my DD power hitting lefty 1B. Only problem for DD is she is also best OF and 2nd C on team so plays them a little more.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Good luck! We are doing same for DD. She is stepping down so to speak but she is thrilled for it. Only difference is she doesn't want to play college ball, but we are not ready for her to give that up just yet...she wants to play through HS, and give it up after she graduates. We told her to not make that decision until then; and as a compromise, she gets to pick where she wants to play...as it turns out, her choices for tryouts are not caliber teams AND are 16U (she has been playing 18U for 2 years). Oh and they are very close to home...I think the 1 - 1.25 hours to practices were too much for her (and we wouldn't let her drive that alone LOL). I also think she is disappointed at coaches not "noticing" her...I just wonder how much her tune will change when they do start noticing her (and I do believe it will happen).

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
JAD

My $0.02...If she has a BIG stick and hits well at the camps she will get noticed. 16U is "prime time" for recruiting and 2017/2018 classes are most schools primary focus right now. If your DD wants to play major D1 being on a marquee team and getting into the right showcases (IDT, NJ, Demarini, Legacy) are critical. Most college coaches like find players on "name brand" organizations because if they do not pan out, they can say, "she played for XXXX, so she must have been good". A lot of coaches are reluctant to take a chance on players from Tier 2 organizations.

I learned this lesson the hard way. My DD was in a tier 2 organization and I thought her performance in the circle would be enough to get her noticed. We ended up having to change teams for 2nd year 16U to play on one of the marquee teams. Was the marquee team better - no, but it drew a lot more attention from the college coaches, especially the bigger D1 programs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1