Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
I know that this question has more than likely been answered more than once on this forum, but any input would be great.
Why is important in fastpitch to line of the knocking knuckles instead of the traditional grip in hitting.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
i guess i would describe it as ( rh batter), taking knocking knuckles on botttem hand and lining them up withthe big knuckles on the top hand. Whick would allow the big knuckles on the bottem hand to line up with the knocking knuckles on the top hand. Hope i explained it correctly.

Oct 25, 2009
I've heard that called a choke grip. Used in slow pitch maybe?

Aligning the knocking knuckles is close but I believe the knocking knuckles are not quite aligned. It's more like the knocking knuckles align with the middle of the fist (FIST, not first) knuckle and the middle joint. In other words they offset slightly from alignment--a more relaxed feeling for the wrists.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I use and teach the off set or box method, as taught by Don Slaught of Right View Pro. He is a former MLB hitting coach and I have asked him this question, myself. He does not advise lining up the knocker knuckles.

Plus, my top hand rotates during my swing. It can't do that with the knuckles lined up.

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
Knuckle orientation in the grip is a tradeoff....simpler release vs more load. When door knocker knuckles are nearly aligned, the elbows can easily get more closer together at contact which helps to avoid a wave in the bat path. When punching knuckles are nearly aligned, the elbows are more separated which helps with load and separation prior to launch because you can pull back with the back arm at nearly a right angle to the bat but if top hand grip pressure is too firm then this can lead to a wave (sometimes called wrist bind) in the bat path unless the top hand is allowed to rotate during the swing (like Amy says). The popular compromise is the slight offset. The challenge for each individual is to find the grip that provides maximum load (and subsequent bat speed) without compromising consistent sweet spot center contact.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
The bottom three fingers of the top hand are the fingers that you want engaged with the bat in your grip. These fingers (without the index finger) produce the most strength and control on the bat. Make sure your hands are higher than both elbows in your stance while having the front elbow lower than the back elbow. This will help to naturally set your grip.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
What Amy posted is correct. Don tested this is a lab at UCLA. We have also tested it and find you gain any where from 3 to 5 mph in bat speed, if you allow the top hand to rotate. The grip is very important. FFS had a very good post showing where the bat should be in the hands. Plus keep in mind you have two fingers that do all the work that are known as grippers. When you engage them you can see your forearm muscles move. Keeping the bat out of the meaty part between your thumb and first finger is a problem we run into with most kids. Then they wonder why the roll the wrists during the swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The bottom three fingers of the top hand are the fingers that you want engaged with the bat in your grip. These fingers (without the index finger) produce the most strength and control on the bat. Make sure your hands are higher than both elbows in your stance while having the front elbow lower than the back elbow. This will help to naturally set your grip.

For me, two fingers are engaged ... the ring finger and the middle finger ... for both the bottom and top hand. The index finger in both hands is orientated such that it is not engaged in gripping the bat handle.

I'd be interested to learn more about the advice of having the front elbow lower than the rear elbow in one's stance. I know of some college programs that advocate having the lead shoulder lower than the rear shoulder in the stance, which I suppose leads to a similar setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut