"Hands to the ball" help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Just to clarify ... when Wellphyt speaks of getting the "hands flat", he is speaking of the hands flattening to the "swing plane" during what some consider the "early bat speed" portion of the swing (not at contact) ... it is not an orientation wrt the ground. In terms of using the "palms" as a reference ... upon flattening to the swing plane the "bottom hand palm" can be considered parallel to the swing plane ... but not the "palm" of the "top hand". It may be easiest to see/understand if you view the "bottom hand" as "flattening" to the "swing plane" ... see pause at the end of the clip below, where the "palm" of the "bottom hand" has gone a long way towards being oriented parallel to the "swing plane".

2mceek3.gif

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks FFS. Getting the hands flat has nothing to do with the ground. The movement is way upstream of the palm-up palm-down position that many people refer to at contact.

I consider Bonds to have his hands flat in this clip...back elbow slotted, front forearm max up off the chest, hands at back shoulder and barrel pointing behind him. IMO this position is an absolute on every swing.

bonds_torque1enh&#9.jpg

In this image of Pujols I consider him to be in the palm up - palm down position

Pujols 90 degree POC.jpg

I'm not suggesting everyone needs to agree with this. I'm just clarifying how I view the swing. Others no doubt will view the swing differently.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
To be honest, your description here isn't very clear. Might want to reword things a bit.

lol, I show them instead of just using words for this exact reason. And what I meant by telling other coaches in the Organization is be wary of what you tell the girls, as they will attempt to do as you ask.

FFS you up to do some instruction in Mac?

Last edited:

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
I use hand inside the ball as a que. .

I've never seen a swing where the hitters hands traveled outside the incoming path of the pitch. The pitch would hit the hitters arms if this were the case. The hands are always "inside the ball", but I do understand what you mean... As others have stated in here, what matters is if the players understand.

I use "barrel inside the ball" when the player is long "around the ball".

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
We use to teach hands flat or what some call palm up palm down. If you actually study video and grip the bat like we know teach the top hand is plam down, but the bottom palm is slightly behind the bat.

OK, now I am confused. How can the top hand be palm down? Top hand is the one closer to the barrel, correct?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
It is not that important in terms of everything else a kid must do. Just if they are using the corect grip the top hand moves during the swing , which gives the hitter around 2 to 3 mph in bat speed. As Bustos showed us in her last clinic at extention the hand is slightly behind the bat, not plam up. Bustos did that clinic without Howard.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid