"Hands" terminology

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I think my problem is I haven’t picked a camp yet. I read what’s posted here, I read Steve Englishbey’s board, Jack Mankin’s board I have seen the Candrea videos. There are some subtle and some not so subtle differences in all of them. It’s surprising to see how many different views there are on hitting and how strongly some people feel about those views.

I have spoken with Steve Englishbey several times. I’d like to get him to here for a clinic. If I can’t get enough interest, I’ll just buy his videos. Does anyone have any experience with Steve or own his videos?

I would stay independent and be your own camp. I would recommend you try things out yourself by swinging a bat. I always keep a bat handy by my computer so I can test out things I read about online. The problem with picking a camp is that the camp you pick might not have it all right, or they may have it pretty much right, but they don't explain it in a manner where it clicks for you.

I should also add that when you buy into one camp there is a tendency to get too vested in said camp and put the blinders on.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2009
Mustard, my advice is to not limit yourself to one "camp."

Amen.

When I took my daughter to a Bustos/Carrier clinic Crystal told the girls that even though her way was the best way she had found so far that it may not neccasarily be the best way for them. She said she was giving a foundation to build on and wanted each girl to absolutely understand what she was trying to teach before they left and at the end of the day if someone taught something that worked better then use it. Which I found to be pretty cool of her.

And then she advised that if someone was trying to teach hitting (here she winked and smiled) ask them if they batted over .400 for 10+ years?

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Howard: "It is ironic that we got a man on the moon and even more so that we got them back and still have not figured out how to hit a baseball or softball and if a rise ball really rises!"

I woud say it's not brain surgery.........

it's harder than brain surgery.

Thanks for all the feedback.
I was kind of saying that tongue and cheek when I said pick “a” camp. Though there are some who don’t seem willing to cross party lines.
I tend to get a little black and white and expect everything to fit in a nice tidy box. You all made it clear that this is evolving theory.
I'll continue to keep my eyes and ears open.

Oct 29, 2008
I think my problem is I haven’t picked a camp yet. I read what’s posted here, I read Steve Englishbey’s board, Jack Mankin’s board I have seen the Candrea videos. There are some subtle and some not so subtle differences in all of them. It’s surprising to see how many different views there are on hitting and how strongly some people feel about those views.

I have spoken with Steve Englishbey several times. I’d like to get him to here for a clinic. If I can’t get enough interest, I’ll just buy his videos. Does anyone have any experience with Steve or own his videos?

I give lessons at the Sorcer Academy in Northern California. The Academy is run by Phil Mumma, coach of the National Champion 18Gold Sorcerer team. I am the hitting coach for the NorCal Shockers 18Gold team as well, a team which also typically qualifies for Gold nationals. Between the academy, Phils Sorcerers teams, and the Shockers, there are about 70 girls currently playing in college (and a number who have played in the past).

We are pretty wed to Englishbey. His stuff is absolutely first rate, based on the results we have obtained.

Just had Steve out last week in fact, and he worked with a number of our hitters in 1-on-1 and group sessions. Also did a clinic with a local league which has rec and travel teams, and attracted about 100 kids, plus their parents (spread across 4 sessions).

Rave reviews.

Please feel free to PM or eMail me if you need additional info.

ssarginson@astound.net

Best regards,

Scott

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30