hands in the swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
What do you think of this swing? Any pushing happening here?

Wouldn't say a lot, but what I'm noticing is it depends a lot on on pitch location. I you go back to your post #5 the second swing. Its a inside pitch. So he has to get the inside early and further out front. Its and adjustment. this is more middle. What about a outside pitch?

Oct 2, 2017
Wouldn't say a lot, but what I'm noticing is it depends a lot on on pitch location. I you go back to your post #5 the second swing. Its a inside pitch. So he has to get the inside early and further out front. Its and adjustment. this is more middle. What about a outside pitch?
either way hands are getting in front of the direction of rotation.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
What do you say about Ortiz opening up his front hip before toe touch?

Here is Ortiz at toe touch/ heel drop.

Maybe 20%? or less of MLB hitters land on their heel (vs the toe) at 'toe touch' like Ortiz above. They must turn their front knee over before they land. Of course, MLB hitters turn their knee only at the last millisecond, when the foot is an inch or two from the ground, unlike youth hitters that roll over by half-stride.

The majority of hitters, however, rotate the knee as the heel angles down from toe touch to 'heel drop'.

The front knee turn either causes the hip to uncoil, or it just happens at the exact same time. (I'm undecided at this point)

Ortiz' simultaneous heel drop/ toe touch method seems to me to be slightly less optimal, and cause maybe slightly slower hip rotation during the uncoil. But it's obviously minimal since a good minority of hitters can still do this even in today's game.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
He has to...he is adjusting to low and outside. probably see something a little different middle and slightly up.
I disagree.. anything on the outside part of the plate should result in less push. There are 2 seperate swings in this video.. 1st pitch low outside, 2nd pitch inside. He gets jammed a little on the inside pitch, but he also pushes more as well

Aug 20, 2017
View attachment 14742

Here is Ortiz at toe touch/ heel drop.

Maybe 20%? or less of MLB hitters land on their heel (vs the toe) at 'toe touch' like Ortiz above. They must turn their front knee over before they land. Of course, MLB hitters turn their knee only at the last millisecond, when the foot is an inch or two from the ground, unlike youth hitters that roll over by half-stride.

The majority of hitters, however, rotate the knee as the heel angles down from toe touch to 'heel drop'.

The front knee turn either causes the hip to uncoil, or it just happens at the exact same time. (I'm undecided at this point)

Ortiz' simultaneous heel drop/ toe touch method seems to me to be slightly less optimal, and cause maybe slightly slower hip rotation during the uncoil. But it's obviously minimal since a good minority of hitters can still do this even in today's game.
IMO the uncoiling of the hips is what causes the front knee to turn

Sep 29, 2014
I don't know but at the point that the hands are "pushed" out to the pivot point the hips and torso and shoulder have all rotated about 90 degree to perpendicular to the plate I'm not sure anything is really leading anything looks to me like everything works together, I think you see slight adjustments on say a change up or a low outside versus high inside pitch but the are just adjustments on the margins...my two cents

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Derek Jeter - out side pitch

Lets go of the hinge angle early, stops uncocking the hands, then holds on to whats left of the hinge angle, pulling the knob/barrel forward to get back ahead of the rear elbow.

Jeter hit many to the right side of the diamond, Because the knob lead the barrel, inside out swing. He is one of those hitters that would take a inside pitch and force it to the right side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA