Hands Back Hitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I tried to get my DD to do some drills with a T before a game the other night, but she didn't want to be the only one on her team working on hitting 2 hours before their game (the other girls were watching a game at the time), and then obviously we didn't get a chance to use the T when the entire team hit the practice field to warm up for their game.

She went 0-3, one weak grounder and 2 K's (although one was with at least 7 fouls, a few straight back and 2 hard liners just foul up the 3rd base line), and after the game the first thing she said to me was "OK dad, you were right, hitting off a T before a game does seem to help me, let's get here early for our next game, OK?"

Those rare moments when a 13 year old implies (they never come right out and say it) that maybe the old man does know something are precious, if few and far between :)

May 12, 2008
Yes! A batting tee. This may seem like a flippant answer, but its the God's honest truth. Players at every level of baseball and softball use tee-work as part of their swing training routine.

-Chris

And like any other device, productive use of it depends on what you know rather than the device.

Well, tonight I plan on having her do some front arm swings, then Steve's drill #1, then normal swings (still with the T), and then some swings with live pitching. If we have time, I like to do some front toss with golf whiffle balls from about 6-8 feet away (although, it does leave a mark occasionally...on me, that is) before the live pitching. That seems to help with her tendency to drop her hands just a bit (it's a lot better than it used to be) at "go".

I have the video camera with me today, I may try to get a clip or 2 of her doing the drills with the T to post on Steve's site, I've been meaning to do that for a while.

May 13, 2008
And like any other device, productive use of it depends on what you know rather than the device.

Isn't that the truth. I'll be spending some time next Monday with a hitting coach that Dana/Elliot/Ifubuildit recently met in OKC. Hopefully I'll learn some new stuff.

May 31, 2009
(thanks for your help.............so is there a training aid out there that is more benifical that the kids can use by themselves as well as with me watching)

The answer to your question is yes. The hitting aid on this web site ( Beebe Sports Inc. : Home ) is a great product to use to work with kids on hitting mechanics, and they can also use it on their own. Kids seem to really enjoy this machine.

IMO, this is a great hitting aid to work with kids on the rotational swing. By the time the ball comes down to waist level, a person can be loaded up and ready to swing. More and more coaches and parents in our area are using this product.

May 31, 2009
The step on the foot pad is to just get the ball to pop up. You leave your foot on the Foot Pad and have plenty of time to load up when ball comes down waist level. Just take a normal swing....with no stride. If you swing too early before ball is down you'll pop up. Once kids start focusing on the ball and waiting til it's in the strike zone, then they start hitting the crap out of it. This is similar to a self toss or soft toss. You can watch a kids swing the same as if you are using a batting tee or soft tossing.

It's amazing how fascinated kids are with this machine. I've never seen kids get so excited to hit off a hitting aid, as this one. I'm not saying this hitting aid is for everyone, but the people I know that have this machine, seem quite pleased.
It's all about swing repetition after one has learned the proper swing mechanics. I can guarantee you kids will enjoy using this machine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom