Haley

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2019
Just looking for her to have the right feel and sequence. She will something push the hands towards the ball breaking down the sequence

Feb 16, 2015
South East
To hit it on the plate she chops down on the ball , like the picture of Barry. As she bounces the ball further out she uses her TTB swing behind the corner.

I’m assuming this comment was directed to me. So the purpose of the 45 starting position is just to give her a better chance of hitting the ball on the plate and nothing to do with encouraging a change to her movement pattern or mechanics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 2, 2017
I guess I am having a hard time understanding the benefit of letting the ball get deep?

For me personally, I would say It's more of a understanding and feel, to know that you have time. A hitter only has a minute amount of time to read and adjust as it is.. So knowing that you have a hittining zone that is deep. provides adjustability. Slows things down. Not to say that you will let the ball get deep every swing.
InkedBattersBoxTemplate_LI.jpg

Now, I don't think thats the reasing behind why Mike using doing it. I could be wrong, but I think he is doing it to adjust bat patch.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
For me personally, I would say It's more of a understanding and feel, to know that you have time. A hitter only has a minute amount of time to read and adjust as it is.. So knowing that you have a hittining zone that is deep. provides adjustability. Slows things down. Not to say that you will let the ball get deep every swing.
View attachment 18167

Now, I don't think thats the reasing behind why Mike using doing it. I could be wrong, but I think he is doing it to adjust bat patch.

What I am trying to get at is every hitter has a certain amount of time it takes them to get from launch to contact. That time is considered to be “time to contact”..... If there is no plan to change something mechanically why would you want the ball to get deeper.

With that being said I believe I had the wrong impression of the 45 starting point that Coach is wanting to implement into the drill. It was confusion on my part due to the deeper comment and what I believed the purpose of the 45 starting position was meant to encourage.

Oct 2, 2017
What I am trying to get at is every hitter has a certain amount of time it takes them to get from launch to contact. That time is considered to be “time to contact”..... If there is no plan to change something mechanically why would you want the ball to get deeper.

With that being said I believe I had the wrong impression of the 45 starting point that Coach is wanting to implement into the drill. It was confusion on my part due to the deeper comment and what I believed the purpose of the 45 starting position was meant to encourage.

Ok, I see. I Agree that you don't need to and wouldn't want to. I wasn't advocating that players should let the ball get deep.

May 12, 2016
Mike, QQ. The only reason I am asking this is because I've never heard Bonds or Yelich mention TTB before. Bare with me, a bit of explanation first. So Yelich talks about this drill in the video, he talks about this drill cleaning up his path, about being direct to the ball. Now I envision the first progression of this drill focused around the hands. I'm not saying the body is not involved, but I see this being done without posture and proper sequence. As the drill progresses, I envision the other ingredients coming into play, better sequence, much better posture, this turns the those balls off the plate into scorching straight line drives which a lot backspin, reducing hooks, slices and top spins. When Haley is performing this drill, you said she goes from chopping down and transitions to TTB. My question to you is.. where's the focus when progressing to TTB? Is she still using the same hand motion, hammering down?

Edit: This question is not meant to spark TTB vs Down To thread.. I am just curious of the purpose of progressing from Hammer down(direct to) hand path to TTB, where the focus lies when you are instructing this drill.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDS
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I guess I am having a hard time understanding the benefit of letting the ball get deep?

WHile I am not an advocate for turning over rear hip socket pivot point it does allow hitter to see the ball longer. Let it travel more. It is actually a shorter swing when done correctly.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Bonds said, "if I can catch it, I can hit it". IMO, what does the body need to do to get it caught?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA