Haley

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
I like the 'improved' swing. Lots more stretch and to me the shoulder plane isn't a problem. She reaches an attack position at load (high back/low front shoulder) and reverses it nicely to contact. She does have a bit of an uppercut for the contact position but I don't think it's a huge issue.

The bigger problem to me is on the pitched ball swing (is it soft toss or full speed?) where the swing seems to slow down into contact, which means she's not REALLY using her stretch but pushing her arms. So there's some translation still to come from the aggressive tee swing to the pitched ball swing, IMO. But good work overall.

May 16, 2019
Excellent points Rick. She's been fighting with being way to early and out front.

It was a Pitched ball with the goal of getting as close to the tee swing as possible. So, your observations are spot on IMO thanks

That ball went about 225 feet

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
View attachment 15776
She needs to use her hands/forearms more like she does off the tee. The rear elbow is moving a decent amount before any significant movement of the barrel. Swings which drag the barrel can be powerful but will likely have a hard time catching up to pitches with decent velocity.

Grabbing a still frame, you can tell the story that the barrel is dragging based on this body position, but when I watch the video, I'm seeing the barrel pivoting around the hands, not getting dragged.

I agree with those who have commented on the steepness of her barrel path. Leveling that out a little will improve things a lot for her.

Full disclosure...I know this player very well. She was a teammate of Maddie's for over 2 years. Haley is the hardest-working, most determined player I've ever met, a fierce competitor, and an awesome young lady. Coach-Mike-Q is also Maddie's hitting instructor.

Jun 8, 2016
Grabbing a still frame, you can tell the story that the barrel is dragging based on this body position, but when I watch the video, I'm seeing the barrel pivoting around the hands, not getting dragged.
To me she looks to be slotting before she does any significant pivoting of the barrel around the hands, even in the video :) The position
I gave is a result of this imo...

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
To me she looks to be slotting before she does any significant pivoting of the barrel around the hands, even in the video :) The position
I gave is a result of this imo...

I agree that there is some elbow movement before the barrel starts turning rearward, but I don't see a big issue here. It could tighten up a little, though.

Jun 8, 2016
I agree that there is some elbow movement before the barrel starts turning rearward, but I don't see a big issue here. It could tighten up a little, though.
Agreed, like I said once she is able to better take that part of her tee swing over the moving ball she will be better off. JMHO of course, and I am just some yahoo who has 2 "students" so what do I know :LOL: Her instructor has done a good job so far no reason to believe it won't continue

Last edited:
May 16, 2019
Thanks Eric , and Patar I agree with both of your comments along with Rick. I'm impressed that your ability to spot these things. We will continue to address them.

What did Bruce Lee say .
I fear the man that's done 1 kick a thousand times over the man that's
done a thousand kicks once.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles