Haley

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I would say your "work" has not yet caught up to your knowledge and ability to analyze video.
Or perhaps my teaching ability hasn't caught up yet ;) Also I think I am going to start calling them that.."Hey my work, go clean your room", "Hey my work, time for a bath", "Hey my work, Dad has a headache, stop talking"

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
@Mike-Coach Q , have you ever experimented with the ladder drill? Without changing the hitter's position or the tee's position you ask the hitter to alter the height of the ball trajectory. Place the tee 10 feet from a tarp. Start by aiming a foot or so off the ground. Then move up a few feet. Then a few more. As the hitter is doing this they should focus on learning how their body is moving to produce the trajectory. Sometimes when working on TTB I find a hitter become too step. In many cases the ladder drill helps them flatten that out. Overall I really like her swing. But there is always something to work on.

Note: by the way, the ladder drill is from Tewks Hitting.

May 16, 2019
Thank you will definitely do that. I had a suggestion to have her hit a ground ball 10 feet out. I like the ladder drill

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
would you please expand on this? tilting toward the plate doesn't seem right. wouldn't this cause a hitter to be leaning over the plate? this is an honest question, nothing more. thanks!

The posture of the torso (hinge at the hips) creates the tilt toward the plate. For the most part the posture is set for balls in the strike zone before you even swing. There are different ways, but here is one clip I use to show posture tilt and swing swing plane matching each other:

giphy.gif

The shoulders really don't go up or down, front/rear, they simple follow the path created by posture. The swing follows the posture as well, it really doesn't go down/level/up it is simple in alignment of the posture from start to finish.

I do however teach the lowering of the back elbow as swinging down.

Sep 17, 2009
@Mike-Coach Q , have you ever experimented with the ladder drill? Without changing the hitter's position or the tee's position you ask the hitter to alter the height of the ball trajectory. Place the tee 10 feet from a tarp. Start by aiming a foot or so off the ground. Then move up a few feet. Then a few more. As the hitter is doing this they should focus on learning how their body is moving to produce the trajectory. Sometimes when working on TTB I find a hitter become too step. In many cases the ladder drill helps them flatten that out. Overall I really like her swing. But there is always something to work on.

Note: by the way, the ladder drill is from Tewks Hitting.
I often play horse with hitters. One of us will go first and call our shot off the tee. Low tee rising line drive down the middle. Middle tee middle height one bounce to the back of the net. Middle/middle hit it to the top of the net. Etc. etc. Match or get a letter. H-O-R-S-E. It's a fun way to end a long hitting session and work on contact point and bat path.

May 16, 2019
Looks like she needs to have more and stay in her Hip hinge longer and comparing the two pictures her barrel is a little late, posture wise

Attachments

• 9850637E-C8FF-4328-8BD2-CFEAC9413F95.png
    9850637E-C8FF-4328-8BD2-CFEAC9413F95.png
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • 2BDDAACD-51E2-45F5-85BB-91B7432D4A19.png
    2BDDAACD-51E2-45F5-85BB-91B7432D4A19.png
    401.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members