Guest play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
The HC does decide who plays on his team and who sees innings. What I am afraid of is him vetoing everything and next season we don't have a team because he pissed everyone off. I am positive some will leave immediately and/or refuse to sign any contract that has that stipulation in it. We have way more teams than we have players around here. Because we have so many teams, pickups have become VERY common here. There was a team in our organization that only had 6 girls on their roster all season. They picked up 4 or 5 every tournament. It is a players market; teams have folded for less around here.

It's like that in GA too, at least at DD's age level. We've never had a weekend where she wanted to play that we couldn't find a team that needed her. Teams having pick ups seems more the rule than the exception. Her BFF's team had 7 all fall and part of the spring last year, and just had pick ups every weekend. The no name organizations have a hard time filling teams, particularly pitching and catching.

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
It's like that in GA too, at least at DD's age level. We've never had a weekend where she wanted to play that we couldn't find a team that needed her. Teams having pick ups seems more the rule than the exception. Her BFF's team had 7 all fall and part of the spring last year, and just had pick ups every weekend. The no name organizations have a hard time filling teams, particularly pitching and catching.

Yes. Exactly the same here. Do you have problems with the teams who need pickups aggressively recruiting the players they are picking up? We do here. I think this is one reason HC wants to require approval. Some teams are worse than others when it comes to recruiting pick ups.

Oct 21, 2015
So what would a coach that forbids his players to guest play do when he is short players ? Back out of the tournament?

Jun 12, 2015
Yes. Exactly the same here. Do you have problems with the teams who need pickups aggressively recruiting the players they are picking up? We do here. I think this is one reason HC wants to require approval. Some teams are worse than others when it comes to recruiting pick ups.

Oh yes. That's gotta be the reason most coaches don't like it. I've had a couple come after mine pretty hard. I don't think they were out of line necessarily, but they definitely made it clear they'd take her if we wanted to leave. So for that reason I can understand why coaches dislike it but at the same time, unhappy people will leave anyway. Happy people usually won't, whether they pick up or not.

Kcsftbl: good point. It'd be pretty hypocritical to forbid his players to play with other teams, but be ok with having guests play with them.

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
So what would a coach that forbids his players to guest play do when he is short players ? Back out of the tournament?

[MENTION=13757]Kcsftbl[/MENTION] That is a valid point but I am sure our HC would say "It is at my discretion if we pick up or allow our players to pick up. I will look at each situation and make a decision on a case by case basis."

[MENTION=13032]grcsftbll[/MENTION] Same here. It gets pretty awkward at times. One coach followed us out to the parking lot after a tournament practically begging. Wanted us to keep the jersey and texted me every day for two weeks. It was at that point we got much more selective about who we pick up with. A lot of people fall for it though and there is a ton of bad blood between most coaches around here. Crazyness.

Jun 12, 2015
Definitely a lot of bad blood. You learn which coaches are gunning for which other coaches. And it changes as people get upset with each other over new things. I tell DH, it's like my soap opera. It's fun to watch (NOT fun to be a part of, having been there too).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06